Logistics of getting bike out to Mongolia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of biking in Mongolia? My partner and I are looking to go later this year but wanted to get an idea of the logistics of getting your bikes out there. Does anyone have experience or any advice on this?

cheers

Trevor

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shouldn't be any different to getting your bike to any other destination. Air China and Aeroflop plus others fly there so check out the flight options. You'll be charged extra for a bike I imagine depending how it's packed. If you want to use a dedicated flight case you'll need somewhere to store it on arrival.

Whilst those nice shiny cycle bags and Boxes look very nice, as @Cyceops points out you will need to find storage for them during your tour. I prefer using a carboard cycle box from your local bike shop, then if you have a change of plans and need to change your depature airport you need only find a local bike shop and get another one.
I would once you have settled on which airline or airlines you are going to use, contact that airline and see what there rules are, regarding how cycles are carried. Another annoying problem is sometimes the rules are enforced differently on your return journey. All part of the fun of longhaul travel.

Top Bottom