Lombardia spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fecking hell ! Evenpoul has just had what looked like a horrific crash...over the side of a bridge.Fingers crossed he's ok
I (fortunately) didn't see it happen but I heard the commentators mention it later...

I was watching a descent in a different race a few days ago and thought then that it looked possible for a rider to end up going over the barrier if they lost control on the bend coming onto the bridge.

I really hope that he makes a rapid and full recovery.

Mike_P

Guru
Was completely unaware of what had happened and watched the Eurosport highlights by which they mean the last c50km. Suddenly comments were made which in the context of the live program made sense but were completely incomprehensible which caused me to look up what had happened. Something similar would happened in last years World Championships if they had not put screening up on a bridge, I saw one rider fly off his bike hit and skid across the screening and it happened at least once more. Of course that circuit was used all week but there seems to be a different attitude to once only passes by race organisers

Last edited:

Martinsnos

Favourite one day race tommorow.Usually go but not this time.☹
So can anybody see past Evenpoul winning this or is it more the case of picking how far out his break will be !

My thoughts.

1. Race organisers must maximise safety but fast sport and on public roads is never risk free.

2. There are loads of blunt impact sites on these descents (look at the houses right up to the road). Even walls that look relatively safe for a glancing blow change completely for any incident that throws the rider off line.

3. The race organisers can’t account for someone who perhaps [note ‘perhaps’] isn’t fully aware of what is going on. It is probably more luck than judgement that cars don’t end up on courses more often [my understanding is that the woman came out of her own driveway a little distance from the crash site].

Full recovery hopes for all recent incidents (apparently a car in an U23 race last year put the rider in a wheelchair).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The race organisers can’t account for someone who perhaps [note ‘perhaps’] isn’t fully aware of what is going on. It is probably more luck than judgement that cars don’t end up on courses more often [my understanding is that the woman came out of her own driveway a little distance from the crash site].
Sometimes drivers just refuse to wait for a race to pass by. In 1994, the Kellogg's Tour of Britain was brought to a violent stop in the Lake District by one nutcase driver who 'knew [his] rights'.

Organiser said:
'It was a pretty emotional time for the riders, but this happens in many European countries,' Alan Rushton, the Tour organiser, said. 'When a rogue car [driver] disobeys the instruction to stop by three different police officers, there is not much I can do about that.
Article in The Independent.

pawl

Legendary Member
I was there on that day .Happened just before the turn to the struggle if remember correctly

Top Bottom