Lon Las Cymru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

Banjo if you follow the route it will take you over some steep hills which are quite taxing. The worst for me were above Harlech and the road out of Machynlleth to Llanidloes as Vernon has said earlier.

I am sure you can avoid them but to be honest they are well worth the effort.

I did it in five stages, Holyhead to Llanystumdwy, Llanystumdwy to Machynlleth, Machynlleth to Rhayader, Rhayader to Brecon then Brecon into Cardiff. Good camp sites and good pubs :biggrin: (Oh apart from arriving in Machynlleth and finding that the camp sites were under water and I had to find a B&B.....but it all adds to the adventure;))

I did a bit of a report if you want to see it, http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfgbzgjn_1d7wt6fd6

One thing it taught me was to practice taking your tyres off in case of a puncture!! The tyres on my bike are sooooo tight they fight me every time xx(

At the end of the day just get out there and do it. You'll enjoy :smile:

PS dont let my melodramatics in the report put you off, I am 16 stone and very unfit so it was a challenge !

shirokazan

Veteran
vernon said:
It's hilly there's no doubt about it ...I only had to get off and push on the climb from Machynlleth to Llanlidoes - this was the toughest section of the entire ride...

Vernon, how much luggage were you carrying? In other words, was it a B&B tour or a camping one?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
sadjack said:
Banjo if you follow the route it will take you over some steep hills which are quite taxing. The worst for me were above Harlech and the road out of Machynlleth to Llanidloes as Vernon has said earlier.

I am sure you can avoid them but to be honest they are well worth the effort.

I did it in five stages, Holyhead to Llanystumdwy, Llanystumdwy to Machynlleth, Machynlleth to Rhayader, Rhayader to Brecon then Brecon into Cardiff. Good camp sites and good pubs ;) (Oh apart from arriving in Machynlleth and finding that the camp sites were under water and I had to find a B&B.....but it all adds to the adventure;))

I did a bit of a report if you want to see it, http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfgbzgjn_1d7wt6fd6

One thing it taught me was to practice taking your tyres off in case of a puncture!! The tyres on my bike are sooooo tight they fight me every time :biggrin:

At the end of the day just get out there and do it. You'll enjoy :biggrin:

PS dont let my melodramatics in the report put you off, I am 16 stone and very unfit so it was a challenge !

Just had a read of your site, sounds like thje weather gods had it in for you.Dont short sell yourself ,you cant be that much of a couch potato to do 60 odd miles most days in bad weather.

I had a poke around Cardiff Bay looking for some sort of sign to mark the end of the route after cycling down the bottom bit from Brecon but ended going round the bay area in a complete circle still following the signs :-)

PS a headtorch is fair enough but I think I could manage without a table??

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
sadjack said:
The worst for me were above Harlech..

Eeesh.

I went the other way around (still hilly, but longer and less steep I reckon).

That hill near Harlech looked like a bastard. It was bad enough going down.

Better than following the flat bit along the coast at that point though.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
shirokazan said:
Vernon, how much luggage were you carrying? In other words, was it a B&B tour or a camping one?

It was a camping tour. Two panniers carried everything inc tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat. Weighing in at 22 stones meant that I was not unduly concerned about the odd kg here or there in the panniers ;)

Top Bottom