Lon Las Welsh ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone done this ride. Would be grateful for any advice
Thanks
I did a part of it a few years ago. There's some seriously steep climbs!

Cycle.travel has a write up of the route as well as the route itself.

I'm sure if you use the search function you'll find more info.

Good luck!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Did it back in the mid-noughties, N to S, although deviated after Builth Wells back up the Wye Valley to Worcester for an easier train ride home. Five nights (I think!) staying in B&Bs.
Some stunning scenery and a great variety of landscapes - gently rolling farmland, coastal views, (semi-) remote moorland, wooded valleys. Crossing the Menai Straits and later the bridge at Barmouth were great experiences. But as Hobbes said, low gears will be needed! And wet weather gear as I recall!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It's a superb ride in either direction. I've done it both ways (in different years), starting and finishing in Chepstow so can't comment on the Cardiff part.
I'd recommend the hills above Harlech and the section round Bird Rock (inland from Tywyn) but there are so many highlights. I've said before, I could do it every year and not get bored with it.
It's well signposted, but get the Sustrans maps, they'll be all you need.
Enjoy your ride! And post here with pics afterwards.

folks got any ideas on what the freecamping possibilities might be like on this route?
(I have a very discreet tent/barely above the size of a bivibag for particularly furtive expeditions so don't need much room)

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

folks got any ideas on what the freecamping possibilities might be like on this route?
(I have a very discrete tent/barely above the size of a bivibag for particularly furtive expeditions so don't need much room)
I'd say pretty good. Although I haven't bivied either time I did it, I always look out for likely spots and can remember seeing quite a few (don't ask me where though!). I've also ridden the roads on other times aswell. There are loads of dry stone walls which you can hide behind and wooded areas.

raybo

Guru
I did this ride in 2014. It took me 6 days from Holyhead to Chepstow. I stayed in B&Bs. The route is marked but I managed to miss, at least, one marker and did an unfortunate semi-circle before I realized it.

There are some steep hills and lots of pretty views (if it isn't too hazy). I liked the ride, though I don't think I would do it a second time.

If you'd like more detail and to see lots of photos, I wrote a daily journal of this ride.

OP
OP
stelencro

stelencro

I did this ride in 2014. It took me 6 days from Holyhead to Chepstow. I stayed in B&Bs. The route is marked but I managed to miss, at least, one marker and did an unfortunate semi-circle before I realized it.

There are some steep hills and lots of pretty views (if it isn't too hazy). I liked the ride, though I don't think I would do it a second time.

If you'd like more detail and to see lots of photos, I wrote a daily journal of this ride.
Fantastic journal. It really gave me a good idea of what to expect. Scenery looks fantastic. Plan to use my new ebike so hills no problem. many thanks.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I did have vague plans of doing this route as part of my LEJOG, and then taking a ferry to Dublin then Belfast and on to Ballycastle for the ferry to Campbeltown.
Due to time constraints it never got past the planning and dreaming stage :sad:

Tail End Charlie

I'd also recommend taking the route 82 from Dolgellau to Tywyn. It goes over the mountain on a bridleway, so a sturdy bike would be needed but it's a lovely part to do and one which not many people seem to choose.
@Blue Hills I've done it both ways and seemed to find South to North easier, but there can't be much in it and it's probably more to do with how I felt on particular days. The bridleway I mention above would have lots of wild camping spots.

I did this with my brother South to North in 2019 with camping gear in 4 days.
Advice:

1) The termination at the docks in Holyhead is dire and not befitting of such a tremendous route. Do yourself a favour and depending on which direction you choose, start or finish at South Stack.
2) Bike shops are fairly few, so be overly self sufficient. We used the spare tyre we carry. Broken bottle neck did for it, in poor light and tired. Quite a big cut, however a tyre boot would probably have worked.
3) If you fancy a first class midnight badger encounter, camp near the sett on Shell Island and have food in your tent.

Enjoy, it's a route I'd do again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have ridden much of this route, but in bits.
Two suggestions:
1) Mach to Barmouth (or vice versa): go via Tywyn on NCN 82. Then either over the hill (off road) and drop to Arthog thence Barmouth bridge, or go left (eff SO) in Tywyn and over the new bridge at Aber Dsynni and round to Morffa Mawddach station on the coast road, with spectacular views across Cardigan Bay to the Lleyn peninsula.
2) Just N of Barmouth, the route follows the (sandy) road to seaward before cutting over the railway. The last few metres are a steep climb to the main road and if you ride it, take extra care to stop before even putting half a wheel out onto the road: there's no pavement and cars are moving quickly: you will need to maintain speed (to avoid stalling) yet stop abruptly. If you go south, just roll down the road into town.

Last edited:

mattw

Über Member
Great ride - lots of steep bits up and down. Did this in 2011 (ouch !) just been back to the pics I took and saw this..... it's the hill out of Machyllncthnethlly.....
DSCF2378.JPG

Top Bottom