London - any hope?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is there such a thing as a bicycle bus? Like the walking bus that kids have to walk to school, only with people cycling together?
Not literally. But if you go onto just about any main road in inner London during commuting time you can create and ad-hoc one.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2773613, member: 9609"]And on that cheery note I am about to head out and endure 40 mile of Scotlans roads.[/quote]
Good post Reiver, I had been thinking of saying something similar for months now. It has to be a matter of concern that anyone would think cyclist safety is mainly a London or indeed urban issue. The crash stats would suggest the risk is similar throughout the country, although the hazards are different.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Creating space is no real problem, even temporary structures ABOVE busy roads are easily built. London and places need to become serious about cycling and what it can give them. London would come to a standstill if every rider took to their car.

There is another demonstration on the 29th and reading on twitter even some of the older, more seasoned riders are going to join it (I would too but live too far away). I think it will soon be time for a national ride in the same way King marched on Washington.

Have you a link for the 29th df ?

classic33

Leg End Member
I know you're right there and I love the fact you're still here to tell me that but others have gone and the bullies are still here, untouchable. Some do it for fun like that stupid woman that knocked a cyclist off his bike (or nearly) and posted it on twitter as if it was something to be proud of. What did the police do? Same as always - nothing.
But yes, all in all, your point is pretty much valid and that's what I should stand up for too but I can't feel confident enough right now.
She's due in court this Tuesday 19th November over that.
http://road.cc/content/news/90419-emma-way-pleads-not-guilty-three-charges-bloodycyclists-case

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I know you're right there and I love the fact you're still here to tell me that but others have gone and the bullies are still here, untouchable. Some do it for fun like that stupid woman that knocked a cyclist off his bike (or nearly) and posted it on twitter as if it was something to be proud of. What did the police do? Same as always - nothing.
But yes, all in all, your point is pretty much valid and that's what I should stand up for too but I can't feel confident enough right now.
She's due in court on Tuesday:
http://road.cc/content/news/90419-emma-way-pleads-not-guilty-three-charges-bloodycyclists-case

clockman

Über Member
Careless Driving-CD10-3 to 9 points, failing to stop after an accident-AC10-5 to 10 points, failing to report an accident within 24 hours-AC20-5 to 10 points.

I have to say, that I am very much afraid that Miss Way, will not lose her licence. I think she will get 8 points. 3 for careless driving and 5 for failing to stop. If she has points on her licence already, maybe the conviction will be a bit stronger!

If there is any justice in this world, she'll have her licence revoked and not get it back until she passes an extended driving test. The magistrate may want to make an example of her, because of the crass stupidity of her comments just after the incident.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
There was a bike tube idea a couple of years ago but I'm not sure if it is still happening. Probably a Spring or Summer affair, if so. This is an old link but will give some idea as to what it was about:
http://road.cc/content/news/6279-londons-bike-tube-lives-again-mayor-boris-announces-cycle-fridays

I dont think the majority of folk in this city hate cyclists. It's been a horrendous couple of weeks that have caused us to think a lot about stuff we might more easily shrug off. There is a tiny minority of dangerous drivers out there and for sure a bunch of reckless riders who are doing nobody any favours.

Re that hideous trout who's up in court... hope they throw the book at her and its a bloody great big heavy one!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
srw is bang on the money here.

Cycling IS SAFE and the stats (i.e the evidence) supports that, even in London. Not only that but it brings other benefits in terms of health, better streets etc.
The more people that cycle, the safer it becomes.
There's a whole industry out there selling fear (helmets, Hi-Viz etc), don't fall for it, but do at least read Cyclecraft.

Yes, we're a cheap-shot for poor journalism ... read a better paper. The fact is Cycling is winning, it's growing like topsy and it is a big part of the future. Success always p155e5 somebody off.

Ride with pride.

Davidc

Guru
Although only a couple of times a month I ride in London and in Bristol. Boris bike in London and mine in Bristol.

Both always include a ride at about 8:30 am and another at about 5:15 pm, usually with a couple of journeys in between.

Give me London anytime, though I enjoy both and rarely feel threatened. It doesn't help that Bristol's full of steep hills. Taunton's easier (and more frequent) but that's because the traffic rarely moves at more than 10 mph! In both London and Bristol I feel very much more threatened when I'm a pedestrian than when I'm on a bike.

As FF says, srw has it spot on.

Top Bottom