London-Brighton FNRttC 15th Jul - report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The South Bank at midnight in the unusual warmth gave me the impression that I was on holiday. Lots of old faces and plenty of newbies were present. I found the exit route a bit different - we headed North over Waterloo Bridge, then down the Strand and Whitehall and West along the embankment to Chelsea bridge where we headed South. There was a tremendous moon, and a great view of it behind the chimneys of Battersea Power Station.

After that it was a familiar route South. Cycle paths over Clapham Common, Tooting Bec. Plenty of back streets. Familiar in the sense "I've been here before, in the dark" not in the sense "I actually know where I am". There were relatively few rowdies shouting abuse/ encouragement / questions.

Eventually we climbed out of London over Farthing Down, which is a stretch of road that I really like. One minute you are in suburban roads, the next you are climbing a hill with unfenced grassland and great views. Then down to Bletchingley, horrible road surface to Outwood and on to the "lunch" stop at about 4am. On Cogman's lane I spotted a little toad crawling across the road. I hope he made it and didn't get squished by an unwitting rider. And I hope he found the journey worth it. It must be tough being a toad in this weather.

As usual the 1st Burstow Scouts laid on excellent facilities and food. There were 50-odd of us. I had expected more for the Brighton Friday Night ride but I learned that on Saturday was the Dunwich Dynamo, so maybe some people had chosen that instead. One particularly tough rider I was chatting to told me that she was heading home for a few hours kip before setting off on the Dun Run. Crazy.

As we left it was actually uncomfortably cold, which was a novel experience, that I quite enjoyed. Then the usual route to Ditchling Beacon via Turner's Hill and Lindfield with a beautiful sunrise developing. At the top of the Beacon I had my pork pie breakfast and left the ride. I wanted to get my ride home in before it got too hot, grab some sleep and be awake enough to return to the Southbank for a concert. As I got home with 100 miles on the clock the temperature was just touching 27.

"A Wonderful Adventure" - indeed.
1658048532162.png

Farthing Down 2am
1658048597902.png

Turners hill 5am
1658048646396.png

Ditchling Beacon 7am

Last edited:

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
My second London to Brighton, hoping that the hillier riding I've be doing would pay off with the lumpy profile of this ride to the coast. Would I get up the Beacon without walking (spoiler - no).
With the favourable forecast (and hills in mind) I opted to (a) pack light and (b) ride the Pyro on a FNRttC for the first time. The black and red bike substituting for the usual orange steel of Bertie did cause some confusion ;)
Met a new Friday on the train down, as with spotting Rob a couple of years ago, the chap got on further down the line, looking well prepared with a serious front light. Are you going to Brighton? Why, yes I am! Then he surprised me by knowing my name!! Turns out he'd registered for Fen Bridges but been unable to ride due to work commitments.
We then bumped into a Moulton rider outside KGX (well I stalked him) and *he* turned out to be someone I'd recruited at Reach Fair in June May!

Anyway we got to NT, said hullo to the regulars, encountered a large number of first timers - dealt with their questions about whether I was Adrian or Titus (no and no), registration, pacing and our ETA in Brighton. Breakfast time, said I. Clarifying that this is generally considered to be 8am.... :shy:

Ended up as TEC, though as someone who can't fix anything, I think it was a role of supervising the other two :smile: and general shoutiness. Or keeping me out of trouble. :whistle:
So I hung around at the back, interspersed with occasional forays forward to get some pics.

The dark descents on potholes I didn't enjoy but my preference for long/fast descending is cautious and in daylight so *shrug* rather slow, feathering the brakes to avoid smoking discs :tongue:
Warwick Wold at 2.45am saw two mechanicals being sorted. I helped by documenting the process :laugh:
Took the hills steady, pleased how they went in comparison to last time (iirc had to walk a couple in 2019 as well as the Beacon).
After a welcome rest at the Scouts Hut, the jacket went on for a bit, as it was distinctly chilly outside - dew covered saddles in the early dawn.
Up Turners Hill, the TEC team splitting up, me to ride up at my own pace, Gregg and Nick taking it in turns to support those riding at the back.
Kudos to the MTB lady with her demon, fearless descending :notworthy:
Round winding lanes, sun sparkling through the trees, the Downs rising in front of us. Eventually we arrived at the Beacon, I cracked on. Got a little further than last time before the left hamstring kicked off, so walk the rest it was. I can tell you it is hard work pushing a bike up there too!
Maybe next time - perhaps 11-32 would help (11-28 atm).
A stunning view from the top. I watched a roadie go up and down the climb several times. Wonder how many reps he did?
Rather than go to the Marina, the train station for me before the silly season disruption kicked in. Hit every red traffic light possible on the way.
Quick stop on the way to pick up a pastry and coffee, then the 0842 to Cambridge. I'd scoffed at the warning about the service being busy. Surely it'd be the opposite direction. Nope, it was heaving and they declassified 1st class. Recognised a Condor in the rack and spotted a first timer so we had a chat before settling into half snoozing. Had a speedy trot down the platform at Cambridge to just get the next train home. Back before midday, result ^_^ Great ride.

Next up for me is the Suffolk Ferry daytime ride on 6th August - got a recce to do on Friday (still a couple of places available).

Album is here for those interested :-)

PXL_20220715_223038973.jpg

PXL_20220716_001717783.jpg

original_e625820d-3eeb-4e25-aa2e-a5c97c25e556_PXL_20220716_011406895.jpg

PXL_20220716_014346562.jpg

PXL_20220716_014421318.jpg

PXL_20220716_023037899.jpg

PXL_20220716_023303972.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220716_023124739.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20220716_031401670.jpg

PXL_20220716_064314916.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Maybe next time - perhaps 11-32 would help (11-28 atm).
A stunning view from the top. I watched a roadie go up and down the climb several times. Wonder how many reps he did?
Or 11-34 if your derailleur will allow!

I actually commented to myself that the Beacon was easier than usual for me (34/34 bottom gear) When I got home I checked and it was one of my slower ascents, so maybe that's the key - take it easy.

I was hoping that I'd gained some mysterious hill climbing ability, but when I hit Titsey Hill on way home I realised this was not the case and struggled as usual. Mind you Titsey Hill is a different beast, it's super steep for about 400m, and the rest is easy - or would be if I still had working legs.

The rider in question (can't remember his name but I think I did once know it!) limited himself to two ascents. At least he said just before I left that he wasn't planning another. Maybe he changed his mind.

Great pictures, btw!

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well,
That was eventual. In mostly good ways. In part due to acts of Thieving B*****ds, also because she hadn't had an outing in many months, and had never done Ditchling, so I thought it about time, Chutney the wonderbike was the weapon of choice. And until that epic little lump, she acquitted herself very well. DualDrive hub is seemingly unable to engage the middle 1:1 setting, at least on the move, but not a problem when you can use all the cassette & the high/low hub positions covered (nearly) everything else. Decent ride, no weird rattles or creaks, handling not too twitchy, multiple hand positions with bullhorns, and emphatically Not Slow. I was cautious on fast descents (more due to V-brakes/potential to overheat rims rather than concern over twitchiness), and the aforementioned (by @Dogtrousers) stretch of bomb craters was somewhat terrifying. 20 inch wheels (let alone the 17s as on that gorgeous, gorgeous Moulton) are not good in those conditions. On the Beacon, I ran out of gears, basically- it was a bit warm for my liking, and an 11-27 (I think) cassette proved a bit big. Should investigate getting a 32 or 34 on there, as I did on its predecessor the Jetstream XP, that would sort it. But I was at least half-way up, and it wasn't a bad walk…

Desire to make the 2138 train of choice rather more a need on Friday night, as the next Waterloo-bound service was over an hour later (Plan B was to leave that service at Clapham Junction and wait on the south side of the Common). Thankfully, potential SNAFUs with work turning up late, etc, were avoided, and I beat the train to the platform by a couple of minutes. Into Waterloo on time, and plenty of time to fill the bottles at the fountain opposite platform 18 [think I'll stick with that in future rather than doing it some hours earlier at work, particularly in hot weather] before getting round to the NT.

A sizeable peloton assembled, including a sizeable number of new riders- one recruit had himself brought a whole group of friends. Some were under the impression we'd be in Brighton by about five. Er, no, we'd have got it wrong if we did that…Just after midnight, Titus (standing in for Adrian, unable to lead due to a cataract op) led us off. Early progress seemed a bit slow even by Central London standards. Every light seemed to be red, and with a sizeable group mechanicals were sadly inevitable. If Plan B had been required, I'd have been facing a rather long wait in Clapham.

Route was the now-usual one for Brighton- so Tooting Bec Common, and then Farthing Down rather than Portnalls Road. Chutney coped very well with the cattle grids, thankfully, and the bottom gear was certainly low enough for the climbs. By the time we were approaching half-way, though, I was suffering just a little, it was definitely colder than the forecasts predicted & the spiffy LeCol jersey certainly wasn't made for those temperatures.

The scout hut came as a very welcome sight, and the tea and food restored my mojo somewhat. Solitary additional layer (jacket) was donned, and it was needed in that early chill. Turners Hill came up (literally) not long after we set off again. As morning rose, our numbers fell as aforementioned group of newbies (mostly) did a flit, leaving just one of their number behind. And then, as ever an event, the Beacon. Only slight tinge of regret at walking up it for I think the third time. Reached the summit just after 7.30, and after that lovely descent, reached the junction with Coldean Lane- the one where we take the flyover over the A27- somewhat bemused to find a couple of riders who'd left some minutes earlier, but weren't sure of the correct way on (there were no waymarkers, admittedly). Carried on, mostly (red lights permitting) down to the front and then along to the Marina Wetherspoons. Still somehow one of the earliest there. As I too had musical plans for Saturday night, a somewhat shorter than usual breakfast stop for me, before I adjourned to the station. A minute or two late for the next potential train, but on the 1000 westbound, before bed sharpish. Up again at three, then back to the smoke for Front 242 in Islington (an early show, six doors & 10 curfew), which was terrific. Didn't yawn once ^_^ Back home again just after midnight, and I slept rather well, unsurprisingly.

Thanks all. Next up for me....Carlisle to Newcastle (fingers crossed!!).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
And the blurb from the Moulton website…
https://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models/NSCENTURY.html

Only the second New Series I've ever seen on the road. I'd rather have one of the 20" wheel models if the lottery numbers came up, but still a similar shade of envious!

Rather lovely isn't it? We saw it + owner leaving the station, so I trotted off for a look, and realised we had met before!
I think the rider had a close call on the crater section :eek:
Some more pics from the ride

brighton4.jpg

PXL_20220716_050407098.jpg

brighton3.jpg

brighton6.jpg

The temperature read 22° when I left home, unusually balmy and so for the first time ever I began with only short sleeve top and shorts. How much would it cool by Horley? The Beeb promised 15°, the Norwegians’ more circumspect 12°. The dilemma was which long sleeve jacket to take and leg warmers or knee warmers?

Because it was such a gorgeous evening, I set off for Shoreham Station, heading mostly east. The opposite direction than is customary. The sky was a pastel blue with soft splashes of light pinky-grey. Too early still for lunar light. Ten minutes later and the blue had turned royal and the soft splashes now a rosier hue. I turned around and in the west there was a splendid sunset. Nature can provide a spectacular changing colour show at times.

The train and arrival in London were uneventful, although hordes of travellers, mostly non-english speaking near me, boarded at Gatwick, A quick sprint to the Wellington Arch as I had to abort that route on the Eastbourne ride. Down to Buck House, Birdcage Walk and Parliament Square with much traffic congestion. The big clock showed 11.47 crossing over Westminster Bridge. Just in time for roll call and safetee roolz. Chatted briefly with a Fridays Virgin, Jeff, having brought a bike with huge wheels and correspondingly thick gnarly rubber. Bizarrely, to this correspondent, he was not inclined to take the off-road route from Ditchling to the Coast, for which it was eminently suited.

And then we were off. Different route over the Thames, along The Strand & Whitehall, a pleasant change from tradition and seemed to get us onto Millbank and back over south of the Thames quicker, without faffage of numerous red lights.

Obligatory pit stop at Clapham Common. Onwards over the Commons of Tooting Bec and Mitcham. Found myself next to Jeff again, who having lived for years in Brixton - a mere couple of miles distant - wondered where these leafy lanes were! By the bottom of the descent into Coulsdon, normally I would have spotted an ubiquitous urban fox. Not tonight. Strange, as I had waymarked a few times and I have a theory that in order to see one of these wily creatures, one needs to be at the front of the ride before it darts into a shadowy garden. Strange too that I spy no other interesting wildlife over the entire ride.

The ever lovely climb of Farthing Down is always paid back by a cautiously unhurried descent. Over the M25, more guarded descending, passing the double puncture. That is, a puncture in each of two bikes at the same spot. One wag even suggested it was the same piece of glass! Oh, and the craters - appalling. Did I miss the Ride Leader’s warning? Moving on, beyond ‘burbland, a noticeable drop of a couple degrees, heading south along the country lane, framed by tall trees on both sides, the almost full moon glows directly ahead, seemingly barely above the treetops. Before long we roll into The Edifice without further incident.

Daylight has returned while we snacked. The earlier decision to take the Blue Star jacket was correct, the compromise of knee warmers was fine. Being sensitive to cooler temperatures, I invariably side with caution and find the Beeb’s meteorological prognostications preposterously poor. A 3° difference potentially means the difference of comfort or discomfort. Then the familiar ascent of Turners Hill quickly warms riders. And the regroup at the top cools them.

The long descent into Ardingly remains entertaining although a modicum of prudence and good visibility are required to avoid occasional cracks, covers and holes. Small climb and regroup at Lindfield and its calm pond. Slugwash Lane has been resurfaced at the north end, however the finish is rough, in true local Council style, leaving one with the thought, why not resurface the entire lane properly. For once. It may then last beyond two or three winters. Being a resident of the county, the familiarity of poorly resurfaced roads no longer confounds, just irritates.

The glaring sun now rises over the hedges, shrubs and barns, at last offering increasing warmth. Stopping before the left into Westmeston, a hot air balloon is sighted high above the vineyards of the area, no doubt a sublime scene over rural sussex.

The years pass and my ascent of the Bostal to the Beacon slows. Granny gear now available, unlike last year, hastily into it! The switch from a 28 to a 30 or 32 sprocket is surely approaching. Sun now blazing fervently, divest extraneous layers and set off chasing a rider in front, passing many but not catching. Wait for Tim shortly beyond the golf course. A synchronous attempt to ride abreast past the camera fails as he is away powerfully and am unable to close the one metre gap. No flash from behind.

Roll down, red light, roll again, red light, move on, past the Pavillion and along Madeira Drive to breakfast at the marina ‘Spoons. Suitably refreshed and hydrated, set off along the superb separated bike lane to Hove Lawns where it sadly ends. Onto the unkempt back lanes of Shoreham and avoiding the inclines of the Coombes road, take the dusty Downs Link to Steyning and the A283 to home. Legs and body feel more tired, it must be the heat.

Top Bottom