London Commute Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suecsi

Things are hotting up at work and I'll be looking for another role starting around July this year.

I am likely to end up in Knightsbridge / Kensington or the West End.

Looking at the distances, based on my trains I'd be looking at cycling one of these routes:

Queenstown Road Battersea - Knightsbridge / Kensington

Waterloo - Mayfair/Soho (my preference, but beggars can't be choosers and all that)

Does anyone have experience of these? I have mapped them on Cyclestreets and TFL but I have a 3 speed Brompton and it looks fairly hilly (my current commute of 1.5 miles is mostly flat)

Any danger spots I should be aware of?

Many thanks all .....

Adasta

People seem to get even stupider on bridges, so look out for that! You might have to take primary for the majority of a bridge because people try to overtake you into almost non-existent gaps. This can cause impatient drivers looking to beat you as soon as you come to a junction on the other side of the bridge, so watch out.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
My preference is for the Queenstown Road/West end route, but I'll ride most of that area happily. Can't say I've seen any of them there hills in that area. ;)

There's nothing there that a 3-speed Brommie won't handle with ease Suecsi (Sue?) although Queenstown Road to Battersea Park can be a bit busy around the roundabout. Up and over Chelsea Bridge, right at the Lister Hospital to Victoria then follow the signs to Hyde Park. Some slight uphill gradients but, as I said, nothing too problematic and from Hyde Park its flat in all directions. I have a 6-Speed Brompton but generally only use two gears. Waterloo to Mayfair?Soho should also be very easy and enjoyable.

Bill

OP
OP
suecsi

suecsi

Looks like the CS8 Barclays Superhighway route covers part of that, goes over Chelsea Bridge, though it is probably just the same cycle lane painted blue .......

OP
OP
suecsi

suecsi

There's nothing there that a 3-speed Brommie won't handle with ease Suecsi (Sue?) although Queenstown Road to Battersea Park can be a bit busy around the roundabout. Up and over Chelsea Bridge, right at the Lister Hospital to Victoria then follow the signs to Hyde Park. Some slight uphill gradients but, as I said, nothing too problematic and from Hyde Park its flat in all directions. I have a 6-Speed Brompton but generally only use two gears. Waterloo to Mayfair?Soho should also be very easy and enjoyable.

Bill

Thanks so much Bill. It would be quite nice to get a job that is near one of the parks with cycling provision, I can imagine it is quite nice on a good weather day.

Even the short commute I do now, at the quieter, work end in the morning it can sometimes be really refreshing, and at night I find it helps to clear the mind. Thankfully there are lots of quiet back streets and off road provision, mainly due to the university I think.

I was looking at the Royal Parks website and it seemed unclear as to whether you can cycle in St James Park (my favourite, I love the ducks!)

Top Bottom