London commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Good to hear that motorists in Central London tend to be cycling aware.
Im travelling down from 'Up North' to London, by train in December, with bike, then cycling from Euston to Rotherhithe.
Was slightly concerned about cycling in the our nations capital, but having read this post, my fears are slightly
allayed but not to the point of complacency.

Have checked out a quietish route on Cyclestreets site, which I intend to use.

Any other tips for a 'virgin' london cycle trip most welcome :thumbsup:

rumeigg

Hi, and welcome (to CC and to the big smoke!)

My biggest hint would be to be sure you "communicate" with other road users...in a big way.

Do not be shy to make clear signals (even if moving out into primary), thank drivers for consideration and make lots of eye contact (in particular at junctions and with rear observation when changing lanes)

Hopefully Bent Mikey will see this and offer his comment, he is a real master of communication with drivers and does so in a manner that is very hard for them to consider arrogant/difficult...its quite a thing to see actually (a real lesson for me)

Also, why not take a look at our guide, built especially for riders like you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/revamped 3.pdf
(takes a few seconds to download)

Enjoy the experience, London is a fantastic place to ride a bike!

Jonny

I agree about London being easier to cycle in. If you stay away from the main routes in the centre its actually very quiet on the road and as others have said the drivers there are very cyclist aware. But you do need to ride assertively and claim your road space or they will claim it for themselves and at being at close quarters with cars either you passing them ot them passing you.

Weekends are much worse as lots of inexperienced out of townie drivers turn up, many not sure of what they are doing or where they are going and then having to cope with all the cyclists thrown into the mix on top.

I have been doing some informal counts and in many places although visually it looks like cars dominate, because they take up so much road space, cyclist numbers are on a par or greater than driver numbers.

The one tip I would give is exercise great caution around lorries, particularly construction lorries and DO NOT go up the inside of them at junctions.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hopefully Bent Mikey will see this and offer his comment, he is a real master of communication with drivers and does so in a manner that is very hard for them to consider arrogant/difficult...its quite a thing to see actually (a real lesson for me)

WOOOWWWIE! Thank you Jonny, I'm insanely flattered by that, especially knowing how very experienced you are as a road user.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think you need to worry, Tez and Rumeigg. London is just about cycling paradise most of the time. Since you're already super experienced, you should have no trouble adapting. Most drivers are lovely.

Adasta

When commuting in London, I feel like a lot is "going on" at all times. I suppose it's because one is essentially cycling through several towns - with dense population volume, amenities, etc. - which are packed close together. There are also lots of A road, whereas you might have one or two going through one section of a typical town.

Buddfox

Veteran
I echo the comments made above - the awareness of cyclists by drivers has definitely gone up substantially in recent years, though of course you still need to have your wits about you. I find myself spending more time looking out for pedestrians stepping into the road without looking than cars - they seem to rely more just on hearing than sight and, since they don't hear a bike, assume the road is clear. As Adasta says, there's always a lot going on!

Gooner Mad Dog

Cycle daily from Walthamstow ( north east London for non Londoners ) to Big Ben (10.7miles approx 52-58mins) started for purely financial however now enjoy it anyone else do similar? Been doing it around 6 weeks now dreading Jan/Feb it does have its dangerous "pinch points" but benefits outweigh potential risks. Experimenting with different routes in was the risky part but now have a route I enjoy and as safe as it can be...

be safe , enjoy

Steve

:hello:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cycle daily from Walthamstow ( north east London for non Londoners ) to Big Ben (10.7miles approx 52-58mins) started for purely financial however now enjoy it anyone else do similar? Been doing it around 6 weeks now dreading Jan/Feb it does have its dangerous "pinch points" but benefits outweigh potential risks. Experimenting with different routes in was the risky part but now have a route I enjoy and as safe as it can be...

be safe , enjoy

Steve

Well done, keep it up. Jan / Feb are not that bad. Just watch out for frost.

I'm a relative noobie too, I started 4th Jan 2011 as a new years resolution, I wont be going back to public transport either.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done, keep it up. Jan / Feb are not that bad. Just watch out for frost.

I'm a relative noobie too, I started 4th Jan 2011 as a new years resolution, I wont be going back to public transport either.

That is the thing.
I would think that the majority of people who do take up commuting by bike soon realise how much better, healthier and fun cycling can be rather then stuck on a shitty, dirty, stinky train or in a tin box going nowhere day in day out.

RedRider

Pulling through
I agree with JonnyJeez and the others, London's a great place to cycle so long as you're assertive. There's so much going on during rush hour you become super alert and it's a good feeling.

be safe , enjoy

Steve

Hiya,

I had a similar commute for about five years when I lived up near the William Morris house.

Used to take Coppermill Lane, whistle through the nature reserve and across the footbridge over the Lea then heave up Spring Hill and whizz down Osbaldeston Rd. I'd head through Stokie and the back streets of Islington, cross the City Rd and pass Sadlers Wells before descending towards Euston-ish. Loved that commute, such variety!

Main difference in winter was cycling in the dark through the unlit nature reserve on the way home which was always a bit spooky. Good lights to see by are recommended but try not to be scared by the looming shadows. (I used to speed up along that stretch, not that I'm scared of ghosts or anything :whistle:. There's that bit where the path dips under the railway line which fills with water for the winter months but just go for it, there's a trick to ducking your head and lifting your feet!

Gooner Mad Dog

Yes have done Coppermill several times more of a summer detour great to see odd barge going past, hippy types in their houseboats and even had odd pint at Coppermill pub on last stretch.. someone else commented on how much more alert you feel and totally agree you get into work having been to the gym, buzzing almost as any commute in London is a bit of an addrenelin rush.

I still find it amusing whilst I push up towards Upper Street ( having done 8 miles ) some fresh faced Islington girl of 20 something soars past past me in flowing skirt, high heels, small puppy in basket lol.

:biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cycling in London is sometimes noisy, and always slow going, but we are kings and queens of the road!

Gooner Mad Dog

Coppermill went rubbish when the new landlord took over. The Anchor and Hope is a good pub just opposite the marshes.

Yes actually agree been in that pub and nicer on the water too, popped over Springfield Marina further up road.Also the Coppermill landlord is a Spurs fan ..............say no more !

Top Bottom