London Cyclist (Road Bike) - What tyres should I get now - 700x25 or 700x23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KMKM

Hi,

I recently bought a road bike and have been commuting to work for the last couple of months in London.

I currently have 700 x 25 tyres.

I commute in central London and have a flat-bar road bike.

What new tyres should I get 700 x 25 or 700 x 23? Advantages/Disadvantages of the 2 different sizes?

Thanks

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi
25s are the boys to get.
Reasoning is that they offer a better cushion against the vagaries of London's roads, not only in comfort terms which will also help against 'snakebite' punctures from potholes... and offer a minutely bigger contact patch for grip.
The disadvantage over 23s are minimal, they're a tad heavier and on a racing bike which you tend to ride faster they are slightly less aerodynamic, but that's no odds on commuting hybrid.

I use 25s on my heavier winter wheels as I mostly cycle in the dark and it's not as easy to see poor surfaces, I only use 23s on my summer wheels because they're very light weight semi-aero rims and to put a 25c on would somewhat defeat the idea!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also 23's. Armadillo's.. and are fine with the London roads..Just keep the pumped right up.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
With the roads like they are at the moment (and will be for some time) i'd go for the 25's myself. there's not much difference anyways.

Top Bottom