London driver ban petition - signatures and shares needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loob44

Not sure if this is the right place but.. Anybody want to sign this and see if we can get some momentum for a test zone in central london where human driven cars are banned.

It needs 5 votes to go live. please share if you are interested

change.org/p/london-mayor-sadiq-khan-to-invest-in-autonomous-driving-zone-in-central-london

This could help make roads safer for cyclists and reduce the number of deaths from human error. Also it may force authorities to rethink how roads work in the capital rather than being dominated by human drivers.

Drago

Legendary Member
It won't 'force' anyone to do anything.

I'm all for people for expressing their views en masse to the authorities, but not for people to misrepresent the utility of the exercise when canvassing such opinion.

In actual fact, hosting it on change.org makes it almost inevitable it will be dismissed outmof hand, regardless of the numbers.

steverob

Guru
If I remember correctly from a discussion I had once with a town planner (back when I was working for a local council, not in the Planning department though), he said that if a resident wrote a letter of complaint about a planning application, that counted as one response and would get read, but probably wouldn't cause the councillors to notice. If 50 people did (even if all the letters were identical), that was 50 responses and the councillors would then start to pay a bit of attention.

However a petition, even one with 5,000 signatures on it, still only counted as one response in their books - all it was good for was so the local paper could get a photo of the complainants handing over the petition to the council - but it made barely any difference in the scheme of things compared to a proper response.

swansonj

Guru
Not sure if this is the right place but.. Anybody want to sign this and see if we can get some momentum for a test zone in central london where human driven cars are banned.

It needs 5 votes to go live. please share if you are interested

change.org/p/london-mayor-sadiq-khan-to-invest-in-autonomous-driving-zone-in-central-london

This could help make roads safer for cyclists and reduce the number of deaths from human error. Also it may force authorities to rethink how roads work in the capital rather than being dominated by human drivers.
Well, yes, it would reduce cyclist injury rates, once cyclists are also banned from those roads....

Top Bottom