London Edinburgh London 2013 - new website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well that's my target set for next year , I better get registered for a few more Audax rides :smile:

Paul

Something to look forward to. Hope the route will be well signed I usually manage to get lost on an audax:blush:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Luckily the LEL doesn't require qualifying, that means I can fit the rides in around myself. Last year, the audax's just never fell right for me, time-wise. I'm starting this weekend with a 200km to Southport and back (well I hope so anyway). I did a 100 miler fixed with Pennine_Paul a few weeks ago to Southport, it's been a while since I did a long ride on the Brompton tho. I can't envisage any issues, but you never know.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Dunno, PBP is signed I believe so I would have expected this to be.

I don't believe LEL is generally signposted. There may be certain exceptions to this over short distances- where there are particular reasons why the organisers would prefer that a particular route is taken, for safety reasons for example, or to minimise disruption to local population... but in general - I'd say do not expect signage. If you get lost with routesheets, get a GPS and learn how to use it. There will no doubt be GPX ttracks available nearer the time, either officially from the organisers, or from kind-hearted souls who have taken the time to map out the routesheet on something like bikehike. Then it's just a question of following a little line on a screen.... actually I can go wrong even with signage AND GPS ( I did so briefly on the IOW Randonee recently!) but at least with a GPS you can see where you are and where you should be...

I don't believe LEL is generally signposted. There may be certain exceptions to this over short distances- where there are particular reasons why the organisers would prefer that a particular route is taken, for safety reasons for example, or to minimise disruption to local population... but in general - I'd say do not expect signage. If you get lost with routesheets, get a GPS and learn how to use it. There will no doubt be GPX ttracks available nearer the time, either officially from the organisers, or from kind-hearted souls who have taken the time to map out the routesheet on something like bikehike. Then it's just a question of following a little line on a screen.... actually I can go wrong even with signage AND GPS ( I did so briefly on the IOW Randonee recently!) but at least with a GPS you can see where you are and where you should be...

Oh dear, have a gps but it doesn't like 3rd parties routes as I discovered on Spring into the Dales, Still just head North I suppose :laugh:

Dan_h

Oh dear, have a gps but it doesn't like 3rd parties routes as I discovered on Spring into the Dales, Still just head North I suppose :laugh:

Edinburgh and london are both quite big so going North until you find Edinburgh then South until you find London ought to work fine! :thumbsup: Seriously though, how many spare batteries would you need for a GPS to keep it running day and night for 5 days straight? I notice on the website that you might be able to recharge them but stopping for a few hours to wait for it to charge up does not sound feasibile.

Edinburgh and london are both quite big so going North until you find Edinburgh then South until you find London ought to work fine! :thumbsup: Seriously though, how many spare batteries would you need for a GPS to keep it running day and night for 5 days straight? I notice on the website that you might be able to recharge them but stopping for a few hours to wait for it to charge up does not sound feasibile.

Solar panel strapped to the top of the handle bar bag or 2AA batteries running through a USB charger. Hope it works I'm kinda relying on it getting me through France:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom