London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Here is the sticker design I have decided on. It is made of vinyl with a gloss laminated finish and is 3cm in diameter. I should have them in a week or so and will post some pics of an actual sticker in situ. I'll then let you know how to order and pay.

1234444_10151626294216186_508416065_n.jpg

I would definitely still like 2 of them.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I like the design but I'm sorry to say I immediately thought of Enron.

I can now announce LEL stickers are ready for order and delivery. I've adjusted the design slightly due to printing issues (the company couldn't get the white border even all the way round so it had to go) but I really like the finished product. It's very sticky and the laminating works well when it gets wet.

The price is £1.00 per sticker but if you order 5 i'll add another couple free. Payment can be made by Paypal or cheque/SAE. Paypal incurs an additonal charge of £1.00 to cover charges and P&P in the UK and £1.50 for sending abroad. Cheque/SAE obviously has no additional cost. Please remember I'm only covering my costs and any extra is going to Danial Webb's chosen charity - Doris Banham Dog Rescue: www.dogsos.co.uk

Send Paypal to <darrellwhittle [at] gmail.com>. Please remember to leave a note on paying confirming how many stickers you want and also your postal address. If you want to pay by cheque please email me with the subject: 'LEL Sticker' and I'll let you have my postal address.

1176395_10151650762366186_1277948992_n.jpg

I wouldn't mind doing the LEL in a few years time (not fit enough yet). I've worked out that about 180 miles have to be cycled every day. What sort of average speed or time on the saddle would be expected every day?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I wouldn't mind doing the LEL in a few years time (not fit enough yet). I've worked out that about 180 miles have to be cycled every day. What sort of average speed or time on the saddle would be expected every day?
I guess it all depends on your plan. Mine was to front load the ride as much as I could so day one was 8.30am to 2.30am the following morning with eating stops of about 40mins at each place (3) and day 2 was 5am to 3.30am the following day again with about 40 mins at each stop (4 although I stopped at Barnard Castle long enough to lose the guy I was riding with). Day 3 and 4 were more sensible 6am to 10pm type stuff.

I wouldn't mind doing the LEL in a few years time (not fit enough yet).
Youv'e got loads of time. Next LEL is 2017. You could always try for PBP 2015 but would need to get your qualifying rides done next year.

tubbycyclist

There are far too many variables to answer that question - the short answer is start riding longer distances and see what works for you. There will be 200's over the winter and then an opportunity to build up to 600's next summer. Once you have got these rides under your belt it will be much clearer - there are lots of different strategies to get round, and which ones you have to deploy depends how you are feeling at the time: do you need to keep pedalling, sleep, eat?

MAC is almost right about PBP 2015. Completing a long BRM (not just any audax will do) registered ride next year will allow for earlier pre-registration in PBP 2015 but you have to ride a 200/300/400/600 in 2015 to qualify. There are no country quotas anymore and the organising body are upping the number of places so it is unlikely to be "full".

I guess it all depends on your plan. Mine was to front load the ride as much as I could so day one was 8.30am to 2.30am the following morning with eating stops of about 40mins at each place (3) and day 2 was 5am to 3.30am the following day again with about 40 mins at each stop (4 although I stopped at Barnard Castle long enough to lose the guy I was riding with). Day 3 and 4 were more sensible 6am to 10pm type stuff.
So I take it you had only about 2 hours sleep between each ride. I suppose sleep depravation and riding back to back I will have to train myself to do too. Doing the LEL is a long term goal so still wont be ready for PBP 2015. I haven't done my first century yet.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So I take it you had only about 2 hours sleep between each ride. I suppose sleep depravation and riding back to back I will have to train myself to do too. Doing the LEL is a long term goal so still wont be ready for PBP 2015. I haven't done my first century yet.
On night 1 and night 2, yes. I do blame this for the emotional mess I was when I reached Barnard Castle on Tuesday night. I then had 6 hours sleep each on the last 2 nights.

Top Bottom