London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes, I enjoyed reading it, too. I handn't realised that you'd gone into it without having ridden very much at all in the previous few months.
It was a good photo!

Fantastic read, Martin - well done! On both the Riding and the Writing.

I have been in touch with Danial who has very kindly given me permission to use the LEL logo to make up some stickers. I am not planning on getting many produced and will sell them at cost + P&P. They will be vinyl stickers suitable for attaching to frames/guards and shouldn't wrinkle at the first sign of water. I now need an idea of how many people would want a sticker or two so i can work out costs.

Cheers.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Great idea. I was going to get a tattoo, sticker sounds better. Put me down for a couple. I assume we're talking couple of cms square ish.

Here's a first mock up. A round sticker on a blue background.

1185252_10151595469971186_405169919_n.jpg

The tracking says that Jefmcg dropped out at 0238 but then checked in at Pocklington at 0612 and I've seen her post on the LEL FB page. I don't want to pester her by text to check if she's ok in case she isn't or is sleeping.

Thanks for watching out for me, ABV

If anyone is interested, I indeed abandoned at Pocklington (after much semi-official nagging to do so at Thirsk) because I was exhausted and having real trouble staying awake but felt I didn't have time to sleep. After 3 or so blissful hours kipping on carpet, I awakened to find there were still 40 riders on the road, with hopes of finishing. I realised it wasn't over for me yet, either, and unabandoned and headed off, with a plan to do 300km faster than I ever had before. Strangely, this plan didn't work out :smile: 25km away I got a facebook email saying Market Rasen was closing. At my current pace, that was about 2 hours, so I stopped under a tree, called my father like I do every day and lay under a tree for a while. The pootled on to Market Rasen where I'd just missed a train. So sat in a cafe and hard ham, eggs and chips and pint of worthington's, then caught a train home.

The ride was a fantastic experience, but - omg - 1420km is a long way. So is 1165km, which is how far I got.

stevevw

Guru
Joan
You got further than me, well done. I see John was out of time too, shame when you both left Edinburgh I was confident with a bit of luck and your resolve you would both made it. How did Stacey get on?

All three of us have something to prove in 4 years time. I am having a year off of stupid long rides then will be back with a five year plan to conquer LEL 2017 then PBP 2019

Thanks Steve,

I saw John in Pocklington, before I collapsed. I know he cycled the distance, but was out of time. Stacey and I split between Brampton and Barnard's Castle. I was faster on the road, but needed more rest, so we slowed it other up. She made it further than I did, but not all the way.

Steve, you were a hero on that ride, including the brave decision to stop. Glad to hear you'll be back.

I'm doing a 600km in September, and (hopefully) PBP in 2015 - with enough training to be ready, hopefully. We'll see, I've only been on the bike once since LEL - not even commuting.

Here is the sticker design I have decided on. It is made of vinyl with a gloss laminated finish and is 3cm in diameter. I should have them in a week or so and will post some pics of an actual sticker in situ. I'll then let you know how to order and pay.

1234444_10151626294216186_508416065_n.jpg

Top Bottom