London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Well done to all who took part - finishers and non, plus those who helped out at the controls.

Anyone else inspired to do LEL2017 ? ^_^

Well done everyone. :cheers::hugs::bravo:

Thank you for all the updates on this thread, especially @frank9755.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Now, I've said in the past (2011), that the sleep deprivation and the need to balance making the cut with getting enough food & rest bothered me. Earlier this year, I had changed my tune a bit, and posted in this very thread that I was reasonably confident I could do it, just lacked the inclination.

And now.......well, I've looked back over the data from the big rides I've done over the last two or three years. On overall (elapsed time) average I'm quick enough, even with a few lumps in the way (that run to Swansea was 360km in a smidge over 24 hours, door to pier, to give one example). I can handle low sleep.....
Tempted.

frank9755

Cyclist
Great to see Long Martin at the Cyclechat drinks last night and get some tales from the horses mouth on how it had gone. I expect he'll have more to write when he has recovered but he looked very well for the experience and it was clear that he'd shown loads of determination to keep going, despite lots of pain in the second half of the ride.

I got the impression that he has no unfinshed business whatsoever with LEL and will be happy to leave the field open for all those who have decided they'd like to give it a shot next time!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Great to see Long Martin at the Cyclechat drinks last night and get some tales from the horses mouth on how it had gone. I expect he'll have more to write when he has recovered but he looked very well for the experience and it was clear that he'd shown loads of determination to keep going, despite lots of pain in the second half of the ride.

I got the impression that he has no unfinshed business whatsoever with LEL and will be happy to leave the field open for all those who have decided they'd like to give it a shot next time!

Absolutely no unfinished business with LEL!! Good luck to all who decide to enter in 2017 and in gratitude for all the help I received from people on Cyclechat to prepare for 2013, I'm happy to help people train if they need a ride partner or just to share the experience gained. Just don't expect me on the start line.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Fantastic to meet so many friends from here and YACF, both on the ride and among the volunteers.
Hoping my knees and um..... undercarriage.... recover soon. Definitely need to put some training in for PBP.

Redlight finished just now. He's knackered.
Yep, i was a bit tired by then and had very unhappy feet. Toes kept going numb so had to stop every few miles to wake them up again. It was getting close to time but i realised i could just make before my cut off. It was nice to see you at the end Martin and i took your advice and slept under the stars, woke up around 5 and headed to the campsite and slept until midday. Thanks for all your support and comments all and when my head has finally stopped spinning i'll try and write up some of my thoughts on the ride. Well done all involved.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Fantastic to meet so many friends from here and YACF, both on the ride and among the volunteers.
Hoping my knees and um..... undercarriage.... recover soon. Definitely need to put some training in for PBP.
Was really glad to finally say a proper hello to you and Maggie and delighted to see you'd both finished ok. As a volunteer it was also a boost to meet forum people and see some familiar faces at points when I was flagging a bit!

Top Bottom