London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So we put you down as a maybe then? :evil:

martint235

Dog on a bike
So we put you down as a maybe then? :evil:

I might volunteer.

If anyone is reading this and thinking of doing it, don't let me put you off. It is a fantastic event and a real challenge and if you feel you're up to it, go for it. Be warned it's largely a mental challenge as opposed to a physical one though. For me, it's now a challenge I've done, the time isn't important so there's nothing to better for me.

I'll work on a full write up over the next few days.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'll work on a full write up over the next few days.
Having looked at your finishing time, I do seem to recall that about when you finished I did hang a medal round the neck of some unnaturally tall bloke. Had to stand on tiptoe to do it, I think.

I think I will be back in 2017, but as I enjoyed this year so much it will probably be as a volunteer again.

Not a member on here but the hero of the event, for me, was Idai, completing the event on an Eliptigo. He was allowed to oversleep by 4 hours at one control and arrived in Thirsk needing to make back a good hour. Heard he finally completed the 1400k with 19 minutes in hand. :cheers:

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2578888, member: 30090"]SR series then PBP 2015. Let the French show you they put the va va voom into a major audax event.[/quote]
The general feeling on LEL was that PBP isn't as well organised but their roads are better. The answer is still no though.

Anyway why aren't you in the pub yet?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
The towels were very small at Barnard Castle.

The organisers ordered - and paid for - larger ones but were let down by the supplier.

A couple of bales from Ikea was all that could be found at the last minute.

:thumbsup: I know ... ours came from IKEA, too - luckily there is one just a couple of miles up the road from the control.
(By the way, the riders weren't complaining about the small towels, just expressing their surprise and pleasure at the full-size ones they got in Edinburgh) :highfive: As I said earlier, I got the distinct feeling that nothing was taken for granted by most of the riders, and there was no sense of entitlement for anything :hugs:which contributed to the great atmosphere ...
I have volunteered for other stuff previously, and the attitude towards volunteers was sometimes quite off - none of that at LEL:dance:

T

Reactions: 4F
Well done to everyone who took part be it riding,volunteering or just spectating :thumbsup:
Due to a broken right hand shifter 2 kms after the start I ended up doing the ride on a two speed , though in all honesty I probably spent the majority of the time in single speed mode as the only options I had were spin like a loony or not but over all an enjoyable few days out on the bike .

Paul

Top Bottom