London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Just woken up after a couple of hours sleep in the back of the car. Now we have to dismantle the entire control. It is raining hard. It's been a great experience, both as rider and volunteer. I might write something about seeing it from both sides. When I can rhink straight. Maybe the best bit was at the finish, when I hung the medal round their necks, and watched grown men struggle not to burst into tears.

Trickedem

Guru
Absolutely delighted to see Tim at the finish. But not as delighted as he was to finish. He had ages in hand.

Thanks Martin, lovely to see you when I got in.

Trickedem

Guru
To everyone on here, it was fantastic to see all the support, encouragement and downright stalking :smile: No sooner had I arrived then someone did an update on my progress. To know that you have people looking out for you and interested in your progress is motivating beyond belief. I will do a longer write up later, but for now, I just wanted to give my most heartfelt thanks.
Well done to all the Ccers who did the ride, finishers and non-finishers alike and well done to the volunteers, who did an amazing job

BigGee

To everyone on here, it was fantastic to see all the support, encouragement and downright stalking :smile: No sooner had I arrived then someone did an update on my progress. To know that you have people looking out for you and interested in your progress is motivating beyond belief. I will do a longer write up later, but for now, I just wanted to give my most heartfelt thanks.
Well done to all the Ccers who did the ride, finishers and non-finishers alike and well done to the volunteers, who did an amazing job

Well done Tim, what a fantastic achievement. It has been brilliant just following online and has definitely left me wondering if I could do it next time around.

Have a good rest and look forward to hearing all the gruesome detail when you are ready to tell.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
LEL 2013 participants, be they finishers, DNFs, volunteers, and in quite a few cases, combinations of the above....bravo, one and all. Great job!

yello

Well done to all! Chuffy arrived at 4.30am :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Good stuff and top effort! There were times that I wasn't sure but, having been on the road myself, I know these internet timing things don't reflect what's actually going on.

I completed LEL 2009 effectively 1 legged after achilles problems maybe 400km from the finish. From this side of the screen, it would have looked like my speed had dropped dramatically (which it had) and that I wouldn't make it. But on the road, you adjust your cloth (as it were). I knew what I had to do to finish - sleep less - so that's what I did.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'm just off Plumstead Common but get the train from Welling to work as it's direct and doesn't involve several changes like my old commute.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I am ambivalent about 2017, but will, on balance, probably enter. I might have other stuff on, such as a big cycle tour somewhere foreign. Or other activities at that time, such as walking, climbing or running.

Also, I have already done half of it and had a good flavour of the event. And if I wanted to take part I could volunteer, which is one hell of a blast and well worth the effort. On the other hand, I might find it easy to enter next time because I volunteered this time. (Volunteers get guaranteed entry.) Getting in is not easy BTW. The event has 1,000 places and they went in 10 hours and next time they may go even more quickly, because of the superb organisation of this year.)

Those of you talking about riding #LEL2017 need to start training now, by the way. And it is not just about fitness or a carbon bike, BTW.

I do not feel that I have unfinished business here. I gave it my best shot and wasn't up to the job. I achieved some ambitons - riding to Scotland, seeing Lockerbie, getting to my bag drop in Moffat. But I didn't get to Edinburgh, halfway, and didn't get to 1,000k. Yet this will not rankle with me at all. I had a ball.

So why ride in 2017 when I shall be nearly 64 and probably feeling it, too?

Because the actual riding of the actual bike in the actual event was fantastic. The roads were well chosen, largely traffic free and through lovely countryside. The controls were great with lovely food and good sleeping arrangements. The volunteers were friendly and helpful. Everything was laid on for you to perform your best in this very personal challenge. And it is a world class event. Other events have their own claim to fame, but LEL has a combination of weather, hills, winds, distance and atmosphere that put it head and shoulders above the rest. You see, it's not about the final kilometre, it's about the 1,418 before that. Which is why I'll probably ride next time.

Which means my training begins now. *sigh*

yello

I think many think in terms of 'unfinished business'.... whether they finish or otherwise.

You see where you could have been 'better' (whatever your better is; faster, cleverer, more prepared, etc etc etc). There are things you'd do differently in hindsight. I think it's the nature of the beast: it tests you to the limit. But just as you know that 2 rides are never the same, no 2 LELs are the same - but amplified untold. Weather alone plays such a big factor.

So think not of unfinished business but of new challenges. Yesterday's event is a learning experience to do as you choose with. I guess that's behind the 'no winner' ethos of LEL - because everyone is a winner just for setting out. Don't want to poncify it all but it really is all about what you make it to be about.

Yet this will not rankle with me at all. I had a ball.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Top Bottom