London-Edinburgh-London 2013: The thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nuncio

Über Member
I'll probably do it. I enjoyed the 2009 edition and am looking to re-living it vicariously when Arallsopp's book on his experience of it is delivered.

It looks as if the route is going to be tweaked a little with a Redbridge start instead of Lee Valley, and keeping further east for longer (Spalding/Market Rasen/Humber Bridge/Pocklington before striking west to Barnard Castle.

PalmerSperry

GregCollins said:
PalmerSperry][B said:
Though that goes over Großglockner[/B]

Kudos. My worst day on a (hired) bike so far.

Well I've already entered the Glocknerkönig for this year - the sportive that's a race up Großglockner! Haven't ridden up Großglockner yet, but one my neighbours (who has done it) thinks I won't have any problems based on us riding up the Hundstein and Kitzbuhlerhorn together off-road.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
We are now five on the map. And three of us on mainland UK, hoorah! I'm a long way from anyone at the moment. Mind you, the distances we're thinking of doing, it's not so far. My idea for this summer was to ride to my Mum in Leicester, just over 100 miles. If I do this properly, I'll be able to ride to my sister in Winchester!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Morning all, and a very warm welcome to Nuncio.

What a marvellous thread. So glad to see this one getting legs. I am very much looking forward to meeting you in the flesh, and suspect that LEL won't be the first or last time that we ride together. :wacko:

Who's writing this one down, by the way? ;)

Andy.

MacB said:
If you're a traditionalist then the ride should have Aperitif or Arallsop navigating

Well, think that's the first time I've ever heard it called that :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Very tempting; I'm fifty that year. Will I be up to it?

Sounds like the ideal excuse!;)

Ok, it's coming together. You southern folk have a couple of clusters forming...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Tim Bennet. said:
Don't worry, I believe the average age for long distance events is nearer 55.
So if the average is 55, there must be quite a few who are quite a bit older .... like me :laugh:.

I'm not sure I'm quite daft/senile enough to do LEL though ....

... yet ..... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
scoosh said:
So if the average is 55, there must be quite a few who are quite a bit older .... like me :biggrin:.

I'm not sure I'm quite daft/senile enough to do LEL though ....

... yet ..... :smile:

Yes, but in three years time?:laugh:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
It's crossed my mind as a vague possibility. Coupled with an equally vague plan of doing a few audaxes this year, does that qualify me?

Arch, you know where York-ish is. Put me on the map if you please.

Hoorah! A northern training buddy at last!:laugh:

York-ish is plotted.

I was just looking at your thread in Touring, and the discussion of the Wolds route, and thinking 150 miles round the Wolds, that sounds hard, but of course, I'll have to be doing laps of it when my training ramps up!

Top Bottom