London Edinburgh London 2025

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Warning: OT
Three Peaks Yacht Race normally starts on the Sunday nearest the neap tide closest to the summer solstice (bit like the rules for determining Easter).
Barmouth(start)>Caernarfon>Snowdon and back down>Cumbrian coast: Scafell Pike and back down>Fort William> Ben Nevis and back down>finish.
My best time (crew of 4 that year - trimaran was too small to take 5; 2 to run/walk each mountain) was/is under 58 hours.
Snowdon (25 miles) and Scafell Pike (31 miles) in 22 hours (including 10 sailing in between).

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Friends of mine who have ridden both LEL and PBP say the quality of support at LEL plus much nicer scenery is a major attraction, but the road-side support from the French and the iconic nature of PBP makes it an essential event for randonneurs. I don't imagine that will ever change.
It wasn't when I rode it 😊

Polecat

There are a ton of alternatives if you want to run a Marathon. When I was running I did the New Forest as I never fancied London. On the other hand a friend of mine who is a runner enters the London ballot unsuccessfully every year and has done so for years. He has no real interest at all in doing a Marathon elsewhere.

But for these really big over 1000km audaxes what else is there apart from PBP & LEL?

Genuine question - what are the other events in this class? Wild Atlantic Way?

Just idle curiosity. I peaked with 400km a few years ago. I couldn't even manage that now.

I hope you can see this:
https://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/59-Calendar.html

Like this:

1711611623666.png

But not so much this:

1711611668854.png

There are a ton of alternatives if you want to run a Marathon. When I was running I did the New Forest as I never fancied London. On the other hand a friend of mine who is a runner enters the London ballot unsuccessfully every year and has done so for years. He has no real interest at all in doing a Marathon elsewhere.

But for these really big over 1000km audaxes what else is there apart from PBP & LEL?

Genuine question - what are the other events in this class? Wild Atlantic Way?

I've tried to enter a French 1200, and the Dutch 2100 events for 2024. Neither will have much more than 100 riders, I think. There are quite a few others on the continent. Think there's a (sold-out) 1000k from Essex? (also a smaller field than LEL).

One for you: how many running events are there of 60+hours? How about 4 days? [this in light of the recent Barkley Marathon, unsuprisingly!]

Ajax Bay

Guru
The non-plain version draws on research into (is inspired by) how to maximise conspicuity, I think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One for you: how many running events are there of 60+hours? How about 4 days? [this in light of the recent Barkley Marathon, unsuprisingly!]

Not a clue I'm afraid. I'm not involved in running these days, and even when I was, half-marathon was my thing. Although I did do some marshalling on London -Brighton a couple of times.

My reaction to my one and only marathon was a bit like my reaction to my one and only 400k Audax "Feck me that was hard. I'm not doing that again"

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's funny, because it reminded me of the naval dazzle camo!
View attachment 725699

... of course these things are often not simple ...

I do remember climbing the Pico de Valetta in Spain a few years back. The highest paved road in Europe and of which is used by car manufacturers to test cars at high altitude. The testing cars had very similar camouflage.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've tried to enter a French 1200, and the Dutch 2100 events for 2024. Neither will have much more than 100 riders, I think. There are quite a few others on the continent. Think there's a (sold-out) 1000k from Essex? (also a smaller field than LEL).

Spine race...

Leeds Liverpool canal race + 3 other ones.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I do remember climbing the Pico de Valetta in Spain a few years back. The highest paved road in Europe and of which is used by car manufacturers to test cars at high altitude. The testing cars had very similar camouflage.

That is so that if a rival manufacturer spots it and photographs it, it's very hard to make out body panel shapes etc. so less likely to be cloned copies ripped off etc

Top Bottom