London->Southend - What do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bashdem

Hi all

I've signed up to the London to Southend ride next month and whilst fit am relatively new to long distance cycling. I've got a standard mountain bike (yep, I know I'd be better off with a road bike or hybrid but I'm not a big cyclist yet!). What else am I likely to need for this event?

I need a helmet so any suggestions there would be great. The cheaper the better. I was also thinking padded shorts? (would prefer something not too clingy!). Any creams for friction? Anythign else you experts can suggest would be great.

Thanks!

Greg

General fitness and a 40-mile cycle ride have no bearing if you are not used to cycling. So I would suggest you get a few miles (8-10) in every (other) day to help your sit bones/muscles get used to it.
Assuming it will be dry and warm, you should be OK with saddle bag containing a spare tube, repair kit, multi-tool; a bottle or two of water/energy drink on the bike; pump; helmet and glasses (not just for sun protection, but also dust, wind, insects etc; padded shorts (preferably bib shorts as these are more comfortable, but otherwise non-clingy 'baggy' shorts); good wickable shirt; wind/light rain jacket; padded gloves; lip-salve; computer, if you're interested in knowing time/distance etc.
It should take about 3-5 hours, depending on wind and form, but have some energy bars in your rear pockets, and have a good build-up of sensible food leading up to the day.
Are you taking the A13? I'm from Brentwood so I know the area!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Perry

If someone is meeting youatthe other end make sure they get ther early, it's hard to find a parking place and it's expensive!

I've heard there are quite a few "Near misses" as there are a lot of bikes.

Also, near the end there is a killer of a hill which is meant to hurt!

These are things I have been told as I was considering doing it.

Tynan

Veteran
has to be flatter than L2B and all human life manages that, huge fat birds in flip flops on rusty old creaking mtbs

any effort you make to prepare will help but you'll be fine, excitement and the bio mass will pull you there

but yeah, road (ish) tyres or at least pumped up tyres, free running wheels, oiled chain and gears that work would all be good things

shades.5

An engine , sorry couldnt resist , i know the sort of question your asking as im new to all this cycling malarky , have done some 20-25 milers but doing bristol to chobham august 28th 100 miler , so im in the same boat as you , good luck and enjoy

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Well Bash, how did you do ? I had to work so saw lots the riders on Stratford station. All sorts of bikes and riders so you would not have looked out of place with a MTB.

yenrod

>bashdem

Get some slicks!

peejay78

i rode london to southend a little while ago on my fixed wheel. i recommend:

some food, two or three powerbars or cereal bars. anything to munch along the way, little and often.

decathlon sell powdered drink sachets. these are great, i fill up a litre bottle for the bike, and keep one in the back pocket in case i finish the first one, then top with water where convenient.

and take mechanical things in saddle bag - like the others said.

and just i case - lycra is your friend for rides like this.

Top Bottom