London to Amsterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NinjaLemur

Regular
Event title: London to Amsterdam #halloweenride
Event date/s: 29th & 30th October 2015
Event location: Start at Canary Wharf finish in Amsterdam
Event organiser: Colin Jones (ISS facility services)
Your relationship: Organiser
Cost of entry: Return ferry fare and hotel overnight stay in Amsterdam (Roughly £250)
Minimum sponsorship: No minimum although my target is £750
Beneficiary: The Prince's Trust
Event link: http://www.justgiving.com/Colin-Jones1980

This is an un-official event organised by myself, currently only 2 people doing the full journey although there is a bit of interest from a few other friends and colleagues to do the first leg of the journey to Harwich.
We will not be trying to break any landspeed records and although I planned it for Halloween and mentioned dressing up for it I don't think that is such a good idea anymore restricting mobility/vision is never going to be a good idea on a short journey let alone one as long as this.

Still not yet decided on a route and would appreciate some advice there - The second leg is pretty much straight forward and already got a good idea of that part from previous posters on here.
The route from London to Harwich is the one I'm looking for advice on.

Attachments

• PinterestPost_736x1128_AMST70_1426833806539.jpg
    PinterestPost_736x1128_AMST70_1426833806539.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
NinjaLemur

NinjaLemur

Regular
Another thing we need to find out about is the overnight stay in Amsterdam does anyone know of hotels that would either let you keep the bike in your room or provide secure storage of our bikes?

yerteasoot

Hi I did this last year as part of the 3 cities. It was organised through a company. We stayed at the Novotel which was well equipped for cyclists. We started off in Stratford and headed up past Epping Forest, Weathersfield and Colchester. It was 96 miles and took about 8 hours with 2 drink breaks and a lunch break. I would say about 99% of road cycling only one dirt track.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hotel van Onna is in a good location on a very pretty canal. It's basic but perfectly adequate, and cheap for Amsterdam. You need to book hotel accomodation in Amsterdam a long time in advance.

OP
OP
NinjaLemur

NinjaLemur

Regular
OK looks like I will be partaking in this ride alone now as my riding buddy has a back injury which needs physio til next year I might yet convince him to travel with me on a moped
- The first leg in England should be ok because another workmate has said he might come along for that stretch but cannot get permission from the missus for the Amsterdam part.
- I am still determined to do it and would appreciate some advice on lone riding

snorri

Legendary Member
- I am still determined to do it and would appreciate some advice on lone riding
It's not clear what difficulty you foresee, it's a straightforward trip. I would consider getting outside the M25 to be the worst part, after that it's a fairly rural run to the ferry terminal at Harwich. There are countless variations regarding a route from the Hook of Holland to Amsterdam although where in Amsterdam you are headed will influence choice, just follow the signs, there are no hills (or dragons) to be avoided. You will never be far from a café or eatery of some description, bakeries usually sell coffee and have a fine range of delicious cakes. By October you should definitely be taking clothing for poor weather. On the return journey I would be taking an inland route back to the Hook in order to avoid the prevailing headwind which is harder to deal with on the coast. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NinjaLemur

NinjaLemur

Regular
To be fair it's not really my concerns more those of my partner "I don't want you going over to Holland riding on your own you don't even speak Hollandish" (I kid you not she actually said this) "and what if you have an accident?" something I assured her would be far more likely in London than anywhere else along the route.
The only issue I see is the motivation to carry on once I hit the wall (not literally)

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Get your partner to go with you. Even if she doesn't cycle she can cycle from Hook to Amsterdam: it's flat, she'll have a tail wind, it's not far and the day you're planning is national free ice cream day (trust me on this one).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
To be fair it's not really my concerns more those of my partner "I don't want you going over to Holland riding on your own you don't even speak Hollandish" (I kid you not she actually said this) "and what if you have an accident?" something I assured her would be far more likely in London than anywhere else along the route.
The only issue I see is the motivation to carry on once I hit the wall (not literally)
Many, many people in that part of the world speak at least a little if not good to fluent English. If you have an accident, you'll be covered for sure with a travel insurance policy, almost certainly if you only have an ENIC card, and if my experience in Belgium (lost an argument with a tram line in Ostend) is anything to go by, the care will be excellent. But you'll be fine and you won't have an accident, I hope! As for motivation- well, if the cause isn't enough, the training should be…you wouldn't want the effort to go to waste.
As for lone riding, even in parts Foreign, it's easy enough really. Get the pacing right, divide the ride into chunks (for example, a stop every 25-30 miles) so you're keeping fuelled properly and not trudging on for hours on end, and you'll be fine.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Also...it's nice riding with company (so long as the company is good).

I type this from a seat on the eurostar, heading home after a three day ride from brussels to Paris. Whilst the people I rode with were sometimes frustrating (as no doubt I was to them in equal measure) I would have missed them all if they hadn't joined me.

OP
OP
NinjaLemur

NinjaLemur

Regular
Hostel booked - stayokay vondelpark very reasonable prices and good reviews
Planning the route I plan to have rest stops in both Chelmsford and Colchester any recommendations for good places for tea and biscuits/cakes

snorri

Legendary Member
It's a pleasant run along the coast on quiet roads from Manningtree via Mistley just bypassing Wrabness and on to Dovercourt. There are eating places in Manningtree and Mistley, also at Wrabness near the station, but the latter may be seasonal.

OP
OP
NinjaLemur

NinjaLemur

Regular
It is true it was originally planned for Oct 2015 but due to picking up an injury in the month beforehand I couldn't do the ride so have re-organised for this year looking at august. would've gone earlier in the year but have a baby on the way so need to organise around that. Would be great if you could send the route through.
Been looking at a very minimalist sat nav type thing for cyclists - beeline.co
is a kickstarter development looks very tidy and only costs 45 pound I'm only concerned that it may direct me onto a motorway as it only points you in the general direction you have to go rather than telling you to take specific turns.

Top Bottom