London to Bordeaux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seano81

Hello All,

Recently joined the forum. I'm looking for some advice or tips for an up coming trip me and a mate are taking next month. London to Bordeaux via Cherbourg. I'm on a Cude Race Peloton 2013 and my friend is on a Broadman. We are planning on staying in hostels/hotels every night so no need for camping gear. It's our first trip of this type/distance but we both cycle regularly 10-20 miles commute and 100+ on weekends.

Advice on what to pack, pannier/saddle bags, routes to take, places to stay etc. all appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

StuartG

slower but further
Did Caen to Bordeaux and onto the Med last month. Kit:

* One extra set of base layer, short sleeve top, shorts (wash & rotate daily)
* Arm warmers, cap, sunglasses, ultralite shower top
* Trousers & shirt & shoes for evening wear
* Phone, charger, netbook, maps, shaver, toothbrush/paste
* Sun cream, deodorant, plasters, paracetamol, hay fever tablets
* Multitool, 15mm spanner, cable ties, electrical tape, 3xtubes, tyre levers, patches
* Spare tyre & brake cable (only because they were of a type unlikely to be found in a French bikeshop)
* Front/rear light & spare batteries
* Cable lock
* Bidonsx2

I think that was about it. all fitted comfortably within a saddle pack and 1 x 35 litre bag. This was carried for me to Bordeaux but I had to carry it alone from there.
The lighter you travel, the faster, easier and less mechanicals. I had no issues in 1200 kms

Check the Friday Tour 2014 in the Informal Ride sub forum for route info. It worked very well.
Caen, Domfront, Laval, Angers, Cholet, La Rochelle, Royan, Bordeaux (7 days)
Marmande, Agen, Toulouse, Caracassone, Agde (5 days)

That's an average of about 100km/day easy riding. A few hills in Normandy. Flat thereafter.

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@StuartG fails to mention he did it onna Brompton.
I'd recommend the tour but then I did work it out in the first place. There are gpx tracks knocking around here somewhere, as is the list of hotels we booked into. As for getting home, well there is a number of options.

StuartG

slower but further
@StuartG fails to mention he did it onna Brompton.
Yes that did make it easier. Four Bromptons, no punctures. Eighteen proper bikes and nearly that number of fairy visits. If you do follow the Velo routes and canal/river tracks the cost of flatness is some roughage. Nowt to worry about on 28mm but if you are on 23mm i'd take an extra tube or two.

@mmmmartin's route will delight you.

I did St Malo to Spain so much of the same route. You can get away with very little if pushed. The St Nazaire bridge is fine, in case anyone tells you it isnt
here is what I did. Feel free to dip in http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/julian2012
We did a similar route from Bilbao to St. Malo in 2010 as the first part of your trip and it looks like we've been to quite a few of the same places over the last few years. We've yet to find posher campsite loo's than the ones in the one at Logrono either!

chaingangclub

Afternoon, i'm planning on riding Bordeaux to London in January, Any places I shouldn't miss on the way? I'm really not sure on a route yet as they're so many places I want to see. Thanks in advance

jay clock

Massive member
Afternoon, i'm planning on riding Bordeaux to London in January, Any places I shouldn't miss on the way? I'm really not sure on a route yet as they're so many places I want to see. Thanks in advance
January weather may be an issue.. Would not be my choice. Lack of daylight also will affect how long you can ride

Most likely campsites will be closed but personally I would not be camping

http://www.velodyssey.com/ is worth a look. If you do go this way then I would go north west from Bordeaux and ferry from Le Verdon to Royan http://www.bernezac.com/passages_eau_royan_verdon_uk.htm

In terms of route I would head to the western ports (eg St Malo) rather than Calais. North eastern France is less charming, colder, foggier, particularly mid winter

chaingangclub

Thanks,

I've looked at St Malo and it looks like the best option but with two weeks off i'm not too sure where i'm going all I know is i'll be setting off from Bordeaux, Weather as predicted will be cold but i'll be fine with an artic bag bivvy and basha, Just want to get out and put some miles down in challenging conditions.

Generally how safe is it around the west? I'll be travelling by myself, just wondered if anyone has had any trouble or if they're places to stay away from in particular.

Should be fun, I can't wait to get away.

Does anyone know how to meet up with other people doing similar routes?

:biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
Safety will not be an issue. Finding camping spots ( assume you are wild camping) may be an issue and if it is dark at 5pm you will have to either cycle into the dark each night or camping for 14+ hours in a bush. Not my scene, but then when I cycled across Europe 99.9% of the people I know thought it was bonkers (real camping or hotels, and in the summer)

You will love it!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks,

I've looked at St Malo and it looks like the best option but with two weeks off i'm not too sure where i'm going all I know is i'll be setting off from Bordeaux, Weather as predicted will be cold but i'll be fine with an artic bag bivvy and basha, Just want to get out and put some miles down in challenging conditions.

Generally how safe is it around the west? I'll be travelling by myself, just wondered if anyone has had any trouble or if they're places to stay away from in particular.

Should be fun, I can't wait to get away.

Does anyone know how to meet up with other people doing similar routes?

:biggrin:
I cycled from Bordeaux to Caen in June 2014. Safety didn't even enter my mind ..... until I went in search of a B&B after coming off the ferry in Portsmouth. Ended up cycling around Southsea on a Saturday evening trying to find a place, which I eventually did. £65 for the night, with broken glass cemented into the top of the boundary wall! What a dive Southsea is. France however, was pretty much cycling paradise from start to finish. In January though? Good luck!

Brains

Legendary Member
Nice route, shame about the time of year.
I'd seriously build in at least one night in three or four being inside
Camping in those temperatures is OK for two or three nights, but by night four (and they are loooong nights) of being cold and damp with no clean clothing becomes very wearing.
Also, personally, I'd not do bivvy and basha in the winter if there was another option, and certainly not for an extended period of nights

Top Bottom