London to Brighton BHF Night Ride 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LutherB

Just wondered if anyone here was doing this, or if anyone had done it previously? I've read through last years day thread and know pretty much what to expect in terms of the route & what to take, but wondering what the night experience is like.

Any knowledge and advice gratefully accepted!

Lyrical

fen x
Last day for registration @ £35 is today.

Wondering if anyone is doing this and cycling back?

OP
OP
LutherB

LutherB

I've noticed the signs up along.the route down here ..night cycle event...
There are some nasty potholes on some lanes I ride ...suggest a very very bright front light.

Cheers - going in a group of 6, we'll be well lit up, good to know there's signs going up!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
But you'll still need a "see" light, rather than a "be seen" one. I rode part of a FNR last year with a woman who hadn't realised that the light she was happy to use in town would be too feeble and useless in an unlit country lane, so she was happy to follow me and it gave her confidence. What seems obvious to us experienced night riders might not be so to those who haven't done it before.
Indeed. Four and a bit years back, prior to my first FNRttC, I enquired whether my then-commute light (Cateye EL320) would be good enough, and I was told not. I certainly didn't want to be dependent on others' lights. Stumped up for a Hope Vision One. Lot of money, particularly as I wasn't that sure I'd be doing a lot of night rides (oh, the benefit of hindsight). Switched lights at the top of Portnalls Road. And lo, there was light, much light, even on level one. It paid for itself that night alone in peace of mind.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I'm not 100% sure of the actual route, but even riding through some 'leafy avenues' in the daytime here in places has had it's heart in mouth moments on the downhills where potholes lurk in shadows...it's not that bad but there are the odd really nasty hole that would take you out. I would want proper lights if riding those places at night for sure.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm sure you're right Ian, but each person should take responsibility for their own safety, no? This is yet another reason why people should maybe save their money and give the Fridays a go - for that magic half hour when you're cranking along alone, with your headlight beam lighting the road ahead and spreading a cone of light up into the branches of the trees, and there's not another person on the planet except you, or so it seems.

Of course. But I think people on this ride seem to be thinking that for the whole night it will be complete darkness when it couldn't be farther from the truth.

OP
OP
LutherB

LutherB

I understand about the lighting, and have a very bright front light on the bike and a helmet light. I live around Pinewood Studios so know about the dark country lanes & crappy broken roads; we'll all be vigilant and keep safe.

Once this is out of the way i would be up for joining a FNR; i'm doing this ride to support my friends who are doing it, and would enjoy doing the FNR more i think - this is a bit stressful on the organisation side!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I understand about the lighting, and have a very bright front light on the bike and a helmet light. I live around Pinewood Studios so know about the dark country lanes & crappy broken roads; we'll all be vigilant and keep safe.

I live not far from you and am often rolling around Fulmer Village (common road) and wood lane, knowing the lanes you cycle around, you will be fine heading towards Brighton as the environment of the lanes are quite similar.

OP
OP
LutherB

LutherB

I live not far from you and am often rolling around Fulmer Village (common road) and wood lane, knowing the lanes you cycle around, you will be fine heading towards Brighton as the environment of the lanes are quite similar.

Cheers Mr H! You've probably dropped me on Windmill Road coming out of Fulmer at some point! My training has been mostly from Black Park to Burnham Beeches down Green Lane to Burnham Park, although i've done a few longer ones around Maidenhead / Windsor, and a 54 miler last week doing Maidenhead, High Wycombe, Amersham then home.

Top Bottom