London to Brighton fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist Leon

Advice/opinions please, I'm supposed to be doing the London to Brighton (64 mile) this Sunday. Up until two weeks ago I was training everyday and doing 15-20 mile rides with the 20 milers being twice a week. Then I was knocked off my bike by a car and have not trained in two weeks due to injury, my question is this- "do you think I'll be fit enough on Sunday to complete the 64 mile ride"??? Thanks guys

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you ever ridden so far before? I'd go for it, but take it gently. You won't be able to batter it anyhow due to the sheer number of cyclists, many will be slow. Make sure you have plenty of fluid, flapjacks, jelly babies. And take some painkillers

If it is likely to worsen your injury, you may want to rethink doing it

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would have thought so, fitness will just mean how easy or hard you will find it. A large percentage will wheel their un-serviced heap of a bike out of the shed and ride it for the first time in ages on Sunday, walking most undulation's unless you have a nice and early start a large proportion of the ride will be slow or even walking pace in places. best of luck!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There are so many cyclists on the ride of different abilities, trust me, you will be fine, you certainly won't be the unfittest there. The ride is normally at a crawl for a lot of the route, a lot riders getting off and walking at the slightest of inclines. So even the unfittest of riders should be able to do the ride. Even my brother who does no exercise what so ever did the ride on a bike I had to lend him.

That many hours in the saddle for an arse not used to cycling however..

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cyclist Leon

I did it last year in a group and this year I'm doing it on my own, my injury is ok now and I'm ready to get back on the bike. I'm setting off in the first wave at 6am to avoid the crowds. Yea I guess I'll be ok if I just pace myself and drink and eat plenty, I just didn't want to struggle over the finish line so I'm worried that two weeks off before hand is going to make me suffer

OP
OP
C

Cyclist Leon

Thanks guys I'm going to do a 40 miler tomorrow and see how I get on, if it's a struggle then I may have to bin it off but if I can do that then I think I'll be ok for Sunday

A couple of friends who have done London to Brighton rides said that, because there are so many riders, it's virtually impossible to go fast. So that should help you to stay well within your "fitness zone".

But, as has already been said, that means your backside will be in the saddle for more hours...

Best of luck with the ride!

OP
OP
C

Cyclist Leon

Well after getting back from my 40 miler yesterday and full of confidence for tomorow iv now at last minute been let down for my lift to clapham common and pick up from Brighton!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!!

Mike!

Guru
You will be fine, I did it about 11 years ago on an MTB with knobbly tyres after no more than about 50 miles (total) of training!!

Top Bottom