London to Brighton night ride, March 6th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr.Blue

Regular
Many many thanks to Olaf and and the team. A fabulous ride, even though Jane and I had to bail at Gatwick.

Jane and I send a special thanks to the back markers and the many others, who helped Jane considerably throughout the first half of the journey. And apologies to all for the slow ride to Gatwick.

After recovering at Gatwick, Jane was determined to make it to Brighton and I had brought maps just in case. We cheated and avoided Turners Hill and the Beacon. We headed down a well light A23 and broke off when the traffic started to build, just after Handcross. Then a pretty ride down very quiet country lanes, with poor surface and loose grit (OK as it was now daylight), before rejoining cycle route 20 and then branching off to roll down Dyke Rd to Wetherspoons. Back to London by train with Simon, Mark and Kevin. Thanks for your warm welcome at the pub and helpful advice.

Jane has been greatly inspired, got the bug and wants to do another ride, but only once she is much much fitter (and perhaps a new bike)! So she is busy planning her training regime!

I hope to join you on 17 April.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many many thanks to Olaf and and the team. A fabulous ride, even though Jane and I had to bail at Gatwick.

Jane and I send a special thanks to the back markers and the many others, who helped Jane considerably throughout the first half of the journey. And apologies to all for the slow ride to Gatwick.

After recovering at Gatwick, Jane was determined to make it to Brighton and I had brought maps just in case. We cheated and avoided Turners Hill and the Beacon. We headed down a well light A23 and broke off when the traffic started to build, just after Handcross. Then a pretty ride down very quiet country lanes, with poor surface and loose grit (OK as it was now daylight), before rejoining cycle route 20 and then branching off to roll down Dyke Rd to Wetherspoons. Back to London by train with Simon, Mark and Kevin. Thanks for your warm welcome at the pub and helpful advice.

Jane has been greatly inspired, got the bug and wants to do another ride, but only once she is much much fitter (and perhaps a new bike)! So she is busy planning her training regime!

Well done. We saw you atop of the Dyke as some of us were cycling back home.

U

User10571

Wonderful stuff!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

Great stuff! Can I translate?

Steve, Martin, Kevin....and you must be Malcolm.

Well done. See you both soon I hope.:okay:

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I received an email from Jane this morning which she asked me to put on Cycle Chat, which I am more than happy to do:

"Dear Olaf and Friday Nighters on London to Brighton night ride,

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for the outstanding support and encouragement given to me on the ride.(Olaf Titus, Simon and back markers).
What an inspirational night it was for me, how the hell do you all get up those hills so easily.

I hope you understood my reasons for backing out at Gatwick and I apologise for slowing you all down on that first section of the ride.
After a rest at Gatwick I looked at Malcolm and said "you know I can't really back out now after getting this far," he knows what a determined madam I can be. He also had seen me put a map and directions in my pocket in case I did have to break away from the main group as I knew I could be biting off more than I could chew (the hills)I was aware he had packed maps just in case.

Without any hesitation up we got and on the road we went, Brighton here we come. What a lucky lady I am to have someone so patient and full of encouragement at my side to help me reach my goal.

On reaching Brighton and stepping foot into Weatherspoons we found Simon,Mark and Kevin still present. What a surprise they got to see us walk in and what better way to celebrate than a few pints and a double Bacardi and coke for me. we then caught the train back to London together.

I have now caught the cycling bug and know what work I've got to put in to become much fitter and a new bike to aid distance riding and not forgetting hill work.

Thank you all once again,

best wishes

Jane.

Ps is there a chance you could put this email on to the Cycle Chat sight for me so everyone can know how appreciative I was of the help and encouragement given."

I have to say I'm feeling really chuffed at the moment. That's what the Fridays are all about, right, left and center.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I received an email from Jane this morning which she asked me to put on Cycle Chat, which I am more than happy to do:

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for the outstanding support and encouragement given to me on the ride.(Olaf Titus, Simon and back markers).
What an inspirational night it was for me, how the hell do you all get up those hills so easily.

I hope you understood my reasons for backing out at Gatwick and I apologise for slowing you all down on that first section of the ride.
After a rest at Gatwick I looked at Malcolm and said "you know I can't really back out now after getting this far," he knows what a determined madam I can be. He also had seen me put a map and directions in my pocket in case I did have to break away from the main group as I knew I could be biting off more than I could chew (the hills)I was aware he had packed maps just in case.

Without any hesitation up we got and on the road we went, Brighton here we come. What a lucky lady I am to have someone so patient and full of encouragement at my side to help me reach my goal.

On reaching Brighton and stepping foot into Weatherspoons we found Simon,Mark and Kevin still present. What a surprise they got to see us walk in and what better way to celebrate than a few pints and a double Bacardi and coke for me. we then caught the train back to London together.

I have now caught the cycling bug and know what work I've got to put in to become much fitter and a new bike to aid distance riding and not forgetting hill work.

best wishes

Jane.

Ps is there a chance you could put this email on to the Cycle Chat sight for me so everyone can know how appreciative I was of the help and encouragement given."

I have to say I'm feeling really chuffed at the moment. That's what the Fridays are all about, right, left and center.
Do let her know that no apology for slowing us down was necessary....I've highlighted the key part of this email, and we'll be happy to help on that too.

U

User482

Great news! As I said in the pub - if she can manage riding to Brighton, then she can definitely manage the other rides. And there's absolutely no need to apologise for being slow - these are social rides.

(Steve)

Great news! As I said in the pub - if she can manage riding to Brighton, then she can definitely manage the other rides. And there's absolutely no need to apologise for being slow - these are social rides.

(Steve)
Yeah - but your avatar looks like a 'Simon' if you ask me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Great to meet you guys ... and tell Jane that no apologies needed. Gutsy lady.

MickB

Regular

best wishes

Jane.

Good for Jane. And while we're at it can we have fewer disparaging remarks about granny gears - some of us are grandparents!

Top Bottom