London to Brighton Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Corrblimeyguv

Hello all, I am considering signing up for the London to Brighton bike ride next year (2015) and would like your advice.

I have not cycled distance for years so am starting a new training regime in January. My steed of choice is a Forme Peak Trail 2 hybrid bike. Can anyone offer suggestions on a training program that will get me up to the challenge of a 55 mile ride in 6 months time?

Glen

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Get in to riding regularly, if you're doing 60+ miles a week it'll be fine for the distance depending if you are looking to finish or post a time.

I've not done the L2B but everyone says it's crowded, so get used to riding in crowds. I'd do Ditchling Beacon at least once beforehand people here will tell you it's cake but it's a lot of hill, it beat me when I tried it so don't dismiss it as nothing. Although it doesn't take long to walk up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Maybe don't think of it as "training" think of it as having fun out on your bike. Try to ride regularly, explore new routes and gradually increase distance. If you keep a record of your rides it can be satisfying to look back and see your progress

vickster

Legendary Member
Get used to riding slowly and walking it seems!

Just ride regularly, build up to it, maybe try to do the route beforehand. Get used to knowing how much you might need to drink and eat during 5+ hours in the saddle

Ed Phelan

Get in to riding regularly, if you're doing 60+ miles a week it'll be fine for the distance depending if you are looking to finish or post a time.

I've not done the L2B but everyone says it's crowded, so get used to riding in crowds. I'd do Ditchling Beacon at least once beforehand people here will tell you it's cake but it's a lot of hill, it beat me when I tried it so don't dismiss it as nothing. Although it doesn't take long to walk up.

I agree with w00ho_kent get used to doing 60+ miles a week then work on how quickly your aim is to do it in. Also perhaps setting some smaller challenges before hand may be beneficial i know leukemia lymphon reaserch are doing a few 2015 cycling challenges this year? Worth a go to build yourself up, plus your contributing to a charity! Just a thought.

Also I know these guys give out quite good plans which aligns to the distance you want to achiveve: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom