England : London London to Brighton Veteran car run 7/11/21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering if anyone would care to join me and revive the bike ride with the veteran cars on 7/11/21 London to Brighton; route here, https://www.veterancarrun.com/route-guide
which a number of us have done in past years. Meet at 8 am at petrol station Streatham Common Southside opposite the [Pied] Bull pub and head south in and amongst the veteran cars. Sticking together for a sociable ride; possible fish n chips at Madiera Drive. No Ditchling Beacon but Clayton Hill as an alternative. I'll be coming back by train...

As the bod who started this (a certain person on here one year told me I'd started a beast or something similar) , I may be able to get along - will let you know closer to the date.

On your "no ditchling" point Bob, the cars don't of course go up ditching. As I recall the two big tests of the crocks are Clayton and the climb out of Redhill.

I assume by the way that you are planning to avoid the short near motorway bit near Brighton. Must admit that was a bit of a shock to us the first year I ran it.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I assume by the way that you are planning to avoid the short near motorway bit near Brighton. Must admit that was a bit of a shock to us the first year I ran it.

I remember the first year I did the ride with you, we crossed over the farmers bridge irrc.
No need to do that. When descending Clayton, turn right into School Lane/South Downs Way at Pyecombe and onto the cycle path that follows the A23 into Brighton.

Yebbut, much fun may be had by tucking in behind an appropriately powered car and being towed in the slipstream all the way to Patcham roundabout.
Well that's exactly what we did the first-year and maybe another or two. Then it was decided that an alternative might be better.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Yebbut, much fun may be had by tucking in behind an appropriately powered car and being towed in the slipstream all the way to Patcham roundabout.
0428FE48-DD98-4DE8-B32B-570FF70FE257.jpeg

frank9755

Cyclist
Just wondering if anyone would care to join me and revive the bike ride with the veteran cars on 7/11/21 London to Brighton; route here, https://www.veterancarrun.com/route-guide
which a number of us have done in past years. Meet at 8 am at petrol station Streatham Common Southside opposite the [Pied] Bull pub and head south in and amongst the veteran cars. Sticking together for a sociable ride; possible fish n chips at Madiera Drive. No Ditchling Beacon but Clayton Hill as an alternative. I'll be coming back by train...

I'm planning to come as long as the weather is half-decent. Will be good to catch up.

frank9755

Cyclist

That's what I'll be doing, it's one of the highlights of the day.
Obviously don't attempt it if you are not confident but I've never felt in danger doing this section in previous years. The only tricky bit is at the end where you do need to get a gap in traffic to change lanes, but most things are moving pretty slowly so I have never had a problem.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’m a possible for this depending on work and/or the state of my back on the morning. That will also determine whether I use a real bike or the battery assist option. If I can make it I will probably pick the group up somewhere south of Croydon.

Top Bottom