England : London London to Brighton Veteran car run 7/11/21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexB

Veteran
I'm planning to do this, but will be leaving the route at Redhill and riding back home off road (assuming that the gravel cycling club I ride with can be persuaded to play along!).

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Thanks for the offer Gordon , but no thanks....will you join us at Streatham?

Solocle

Über Member
Looking seriously at doing this with my dad, at least part of the way for him!

We'll be driving up from the southwest with mum, who isn't really cut out for any distance on a bike atm, and it's not exactly a newbies' route.

I'm wondering about sticking our bikes on a train and starting at The Mall.
1635890341224.png

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Solocle have you thought about Gordon’s suggestion...and starting with him....the ride as a whole is an easier route than say the Heart Foundation London to Brighton ride; no Woodmansterne lane/ Turner’s Hill or Ditchling Beacon...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Solocle have you thought about Gordon’s suggestion...and starting with him....the ride as a whole is an easier route than say the Heart Foundation London to Brighton ride; no Woodmansterne lane/ Turner’s Hill or Ditchling Beacon...
@Solocle your schedule thingy appears to have piccadilly and district lines listed which are London underground. you are Ok with a bike on them outside peak times, but only on certain bits. central bits with escalators are a bit sniffy about bikes - best to check. You might want to pick up a "proper" train service into Waterloo, if starting in central london, or driving to Streatham or similar and picking it up there

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Solocle you could drive car to Streatham common. Free parking there. There are 2 local stations you could get train from Brighton back to Streatham common mainline station or Norbury station. Streatham mainline station is different line, accessible from London bridge every half hour. You can get to Streatham common station from Waterloo change at Clapham junction.... Streatham common station is a10minutewalk 5 min cycle from the south corner of the common by a petrol station/opposite entry to Sainsbury's... Where I suggested we meet at 8.30

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Thanks for the offer Gordon , but no thanks....will you join us at Streatham?
I shall be following the same route as you Bob but whether I will be at Streatham before you head off or if I will be catching you up, I cannot say!

Solocle

Über Member
@Solocle your schedule thingy appears to have piccadilly and district lines listed which are London underground. you are Ok with a bike on them outside peak times, but only on certain bits. central bits with escalators are a bit sniffy about bikes - best to check. You might want to pick up a "proper" train service into Waterloo, if starting in central london, or driving to Streatham or similar and picking it up there
I checked - anywhere on the district line is allowed, and Piccadilly allows bikes between Hounslow West and Baron's Court. There don't seem to be any trains from a convenient location early enough, and obviously Salisbury is a no go!

frank9755

Cyclist
I shall be following the same route as you Bob but whether I will be at Streatham before you head off or if I will be catching you up, I cannot say!

If you do leave Big Ben at 7:15 you'll be ahead of us.

Are there any plans to have a brunch stop in Crawley? The place we went to last time I did it, which I think was 2018, was quite good, but who knows if it is still open, or what it might be called. The second place I mean as I recall @Gordon P and I had two stops a couple of hundred yards apart!

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Solocle you could drive car to Streatham common. Free parking there. There are 2 local stations you could get train from Brighton back to Streatham common mainline station or Norbury station. Streatham mainline station is different line, accessible from London bridge every half hour. You can get to Streatham common station from Waterloo change at Clapham junction.... Streatham common station is a10minutewalk 5 min cycle from the south corner of the common by a petrol station/opposite entry to Sainsbury's... Where I suggested we meet at 8.30

Top Bottom