England : East Sussex London to Brighton Veteran Cars Run, Sunday 6 November 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Oh! and by the way, thank you Adrian for another great ride (nice bike)

G0084066 (2).JPG

my saddle lowered itself by 1inch, which is why my legs were tired just before Clayton hill

very nice to see some new faces

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks Adrian.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
When i kicked off what has become the cyclechat veteran car chase I did encounter a few adverse comments from a small group of folk saying it shouldn't be done, it was a glorification of petrolheads etc.

Absolute anti historical rot of course.

And it's great fun for all, car and cycle bound, so no problem.

Funnily enough I heard one comment of "bloody cyclists" and two other disparaging remarks from the spectators on the sidelines. I didn't hear anything about all the Astras, Beemers et al.

Anyone else catch any comments?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Funnily enough I heard one comment of "bloody cyclists" and two other disparaging remarks from the spectators on the sidelines. I didn't hear anything about all the Astras, Beemers et al.

There was one particularly over-exercised Mr Toad who took exception to cyclists. It added an air of authenticity to the day.

EDIT: He was the only one. All the hundreds of other the drivers seemed extremely friendly.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username

I had wondered in advance if I'd be seen as a two-wheeled gatecrasher, but I didn't experience any ill will at all. Several spectators seemed as interested in bikes as they were in the cars.

It really was a great day, I'd do it again without hesitation... although it wasn't nearly so nice when the weather did break; what a shock.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
There was one particularly over-exercised Mr Toad who took exception to cyclists. It added an air of authenticity to the day.

EDIT: He was the only one. All the hundreds of other the drivers seemed extremely friendly.

All three of the comments I heard were from spectators on the pavement. One heard clearly and two I just caught the jist of.

@lazybloke I'd do it again in a heartbeat and will look at the other rallies mentioned up thread too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When i kicked off what has become the cyclechat veteran car chase I did encounter a few adverse comments from a small group of folk saying it shouldn't be done, it was a glorification of petrolheads etc.

Absolute anti historical rot of course.

And it's great fun for all, car and cycle bound, so no problem.
Don't get me wrong, its a great event! From the 3 times I've done it, only positive vibes....

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Two. One spectator described my Rourkie as a 'Classic bicycle' (i hadn't the heart to tell him it was only a couple of years old), and the other following @User past the pub with Napoleon sat outside somebody exclaimed 'Holdsworth'....
Not a single shout of 'Oi Cyclewanker' all day....most disappointing...

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

In quite a large car? He tried to run me off the road too.
In the 10 years or so I have done this ride it's the first time I have ever had to give the finger to one of the participants.

Top Bottom