London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wayne Tully

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but I'm doing my first L2B this year, I've got my number and my starting time but no instructions as to where I should be and when, do any of you veterans know?

Thank you

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't it start on Clapham Common?

MichaelO

Veteran
You don’t need to check in – just turn up at Clapham common in the morning with your number. I’m presuming it’s like previous years where there are 6-8 starting gates, which you are only allowed through to start the L2B after the time shown on your race number (you can start later than the time shown, but not earlier). There’s no registration etc.
What starting time have you got?

OP
OP
Wayne Tully

Wayne Tully

9.30, which is annoying because I'm going to get held up by a lot of people.

Is there no chip timing then?

Also how close can you park on the day?

Cheers

MichaelO

Veteran
No, there’s no chips – it’s a “pleasure” ride rather than a sportive style thing (I think, officially, almost 30,000 people ride it, so logistics would be mental!). I wouldn’t compare it to a sportive at all – last year, I cycled through Chipstead with 4 guys dressed as stormtroopers….
I don’t know about parking, but it’s not the best place to park on regular days – add in 10’s of thousands of people, and I imagine it’ll be terrible! Transport at both ends of the day is tricky – last year I stayed with friends the night before in Clapham & then cycled back out of Brighton to get picked up by the wife…this year I’m cycling from home to the start & from Brighton back home (should be my first 100+ mile ride!!)

It does get very busy – certainly at the bottom of any “hill” (I remember How Lane being particularly bad last year).

rb58

Enigma
I'm really sorry to tell you this, but with a 9.30am start time I expect you'll be walking quite a lot, especially on the hills. Do take care as well as you will be surrounded by loads of cyclists who are not used to riding in groups and they can behave very unpredictably. Driving into Brighton that day will be horrendous and I recall bikes are not allowed on trains that weekend either. If you don't feel like cycling home afterwards your best bet would be to use the park and ride facilities and cycle to meet your lift there.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As has been said, just turn up a bit before your start time to get through the crowds to the start line. You can get your entry card stamped at beginning and end if you want. Parking nearby is tricky if you're leaving it there until you get back, but lots of folk just get dropped off and picked up at t'other end by friend/family. Parking in Brighton is not easy at the best of times and the 16th will be worse!

I'm on my 5th time now and have an 07:00 start so hope to miss a lot of the choke points. It's a great event!
Nine of us are going this year and 5 are staying overnight and riding back Monday AM (probably after a curry & several pints of Nasty frothy stuff)

Enjoy the day but expect to walk some of it due to the crowds!

PS.. I saw your Stormtroopers MichaelO, are you doing the same this year and I'll say hello? :smile:

MichaelO

Veteran
PS.. I saw your Stormtroopers MichaelO, are you doing the same this year and I'll say hello? :smile:
I rode with them for a bit - I certainly wasn't one of them!! This time last year, the furthest I'd cycled was about 12-15 miles - just getting to Brighton was enough!

I lucked out this year & got a 6am starting slot - gives me loads of time to cycle there & back :smile:

Goldcoast

As a recent convert to going clipless I'm in two minds in going back to normal trainers just for this ride after reading about all the stopping and walking we may face. Oh and I really don't want my first clipless moment to be on that ride lol

I'm 14167

MichaelO

Veteran
Warm down? You'll be lucky to warm up with the amount of people on the ride.
I had an 8.30am start time last year, and was only forced to stop once (How Lane) for a couple of mins. Having read the horror stories, I expected it to be a nightmare, but it was fine (I could have just been very lucky!). I can see how it could get clogged up towards the beginning, going up the North Downs (Chipstead), Turners Hill & Ditchling. Glad I have an early start time though!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had an 8.30am start time last year, and was only forced to stop once (How Lane) for a couple of mins. Having read the horror stories, I expected it to be a nightmare, but it was fine (I could have just been very lucky!). I can see how it could get clogged up towards the beginning, going up the North Downs (Chipstead), Turners Hill & Ditchling. Glad I have an early start time though!

Indeed. The only time I did it 6 years ago, I had a late time and it was a bloody nightmare.
Told myself never again.

Top Bottom