London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bear in mind that the roads are closed for the actual BHF event, but they won't be when you're riding it. I know that sounds obvious but it does have some influence on your route choice - there's a lot of speeding Audis on those B roads usually.

This is my route - https://cycle.travel/route/london_to_brighton - but as @Dogtrousers says, you're spoilt for choice really.

Justified_Sinner

If you want to go over Devils Dyke then it might be a good idea to go right in Turners hill and head down through Handcross and Warninglid.

It's so difficult actually getting into Brighton from whatever route you choose. The driving in and around Brighton is shocking, especially to anyone more adjusted the relatively accepting ways of London drivers! The route from Devil's Dyke should be lovely but the road is very narrow and the cycle path is always blocked with parked cars. I've not really found a good one: Ditchling route and over the Race Hill is quieter for sure but it is also narrower.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the other main routes are Sustrans NCN 20 and ex-NCN 20 (they delisted part because they now believe adult cyclists should be punished by signs being removed/covered if routes that aren't safe for children), NCN 223 and then east (good from the west edge of London), or the Avenue Verte and then west along the coast (pretty but a meander).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On my little tour last week on a few occasions we took blue signed routes with numbers in red boxes (are they the NCN ones?) with results that were at best mixed. (Nottingham was great, some others were a bit substandard/ suitable for mountain bikes only)
Yep. Red box number is NCN National, Blue box number is NCN Regional (so potentially not unique if you go a long way) and local routes vary with green box numbers currently most popular. Then there are named routes that have name and/or logo on the blue signs, and the meandering Hovis-sponsored National Byway which has brown tourist signs that say National Byway.

Oh and I think only roads were deleted from the NCN last year. Children can cope with any sort off boggy dirt track, according to Sustrans(!)

Can you imagine if we had M and A road signs funded by the lottery not taxes, then each county still making up its own signage system for B roads plus random named routes, and finally a food company putting up its own national tour route? It's as if the UK absolutely must avoid making cycling too easy at all costs! :crazy:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bear in mind that the roads are closed for the actual BHF event, but they won't be when you're riding it. I know that sounds obvious but it does have some influence on your route choice - there's a lot of speeding Audis on those B roads usually.

This is my route - https://cycle.travel/route/london_to_brighton - but as @Dogtrousers says, you're spoilt for choice really.
I've just read your page. I'm really impressed with the effort and detail you've put into it - and I think I'll try that route next time (except for the London escape, because of where I live).

I have to say that the B2028 past Crawley Down, which you avoid, is indeed worth avoiding. It's not a terrible road, but it is badly potholed and can be moderately busy. I'm always relieved when I start climbing Turner's Hill because it means the bad bit is behind me.

Top Bottom