London to Cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did this about a decade back. I'd only just gone clipless, had a 'can't disengage foot' moment and fell in some nettles. Which was nice:angry:.
Oh, and my mate sat on a wasp:ohmy:. She was sitting a bit lopsided for the rest of the day.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm idly toying with the idea of the Dunwich Dynamo ride, way beyond anything I've pondered before, suspect some sort of local club rides would be in order in whatever spare time I plain don;t have

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Dunwich Dynamo? I've thought about it, but I'm a bit perturbed at the thought of going a night without sleep. It's tempting though...

*Googles train times back from Ipswich*

Tynan

Veteran
I've read a fair few blogs, they all say it gets frightful in the hours before dawn but ends superbly arriving with the dawn

except the 2005 posse who had a night of solid rain, can't get anyone's review of that year

has to be something to do once and say you've done

they're taking bookings for coaches back already

ChrisKH

Guru
Was hoping to do London to Southend this year (not quite as far as L2B or L2C, I don't think) but can't find anyone stupid enough to do it with me. A nice mild undulating 59 miles.

Tynan

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
Was hoping to do London to Southend this year (not quite as far as L2B or L2C, I don't think) but can't find anyone stupid enough to do it with me. A nice mild undulating 59 miles.

oo, nearly did that last year, supposed to be a cake walk, relatively speaking

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
yorkshiregoth said:
When does the L2C take place and what arrangements are there for getting back to London afterwards??

The ride this year is on the 27th of july, it is always the last sunday in July and you can book you and your bike on the buses that run back to the start at Waltham cross. If the trains are running from Cambridge you can travel on those, bikes go free on trains to Kings Cross or Liverpool Street.

davidwalton

yorkshiregoth said:
When does the L2C take place and what arrangements are there for getting back to London afterwards??

See http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=158 for this and other events coming up.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tynan said:
I'm idly toying with the idea of the Dunwich Dynamo ride, way beyond anything I've pondered before, suspect some sort of local club rides would be in order in whatever spare time I plain don;t have

I am going to do this one for the first time this year. So far the furthest I have ever ridden in the saddle at any time has been 30 miles so the 120 miles should be a nice challenge !

Tynan

Veteran
26 miles a day for me, the Brighton 58 miles odd was surprisingly easy

Felixstowe ain't the best place to be starting from is it?

other than haven't looked into any of the practicalities or got permish from the wife, I'm doing it

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Felixstowe may not be the best place to start from but is damn handy for the ride home afterwards. I commute 30 miles a day (which I have done for the last 8 years) and when the weather is better will often pop out at lunchtime for another 10 - 15 miles so really don't think it should be too much of a problem with a bit more training. I aim to get some 100 mile practice rides in before and really looking forward to it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Apparently the ride is starting back at Picketts Lock Sports Centre this year, so the milage has gone back up to around the 56 mile mark.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:

I suspect you would make it easily on your current fitness. I did 2005, which was dry and fine, really good fun.

Tynan

Veteran
erm yes, heaven knows when I posted that quoted text

I agree although I'd like some night riding practice and some longer rides, especially in groups, no time to spare at present but I think I'll do one of those CTC night rides to brighton and a few Sunday rides with the Lea Valley CC

train hard fight easy and all that, and I do like to be fairly competitive/comfotable

Top Bottom