London to Edinburgh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would also suggest the North Sea cycle route, more info etc here. Of course by starting in London and stopping in Edinburgh you will miss out most of the best bits. For that you need to start at Coldstream and follow the route clockwise finish in Oostende, that way you miss out the boring bit;)

The other thing I would say is if you are planning to be in Edinburgh in August, you need to book your accommodation NOW (if it is not already to late), or you might find the nearest available accommodation is in Glasgow...

Magna

Bigtallfatbloke said:
http://www.northsea-cycle.com/

...as a southerner (born sowf of Watford like) i am allergic to northern england:biggrin:;)

(Places tin hat on head, dives for cover in face of pending deadly black pudding onslaught:biggrin:)

Boooooooo! ;)

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Hairy Jock said:
I would also suggest the North Sea cycle route, more info etc here. Of course by starting in London and stopping in Edinburgh you will miss out most of the best bits. For that you need to start at Coldstream and follow the route clockwise finish in Oostende, that way you miss out the boring bit;)
Thanks for the North Sea link - in fact, it has already been suggested by Bigtallfatbloke. It does look very interesting.

Hairy Jock said:
The other thing I would say is if you are planning to be in Edinburgh in August, you need to book your accommodation NOW (if it is not already to late), or you might find the nearest available accommodation is in Glasgow...
;) Luckily, I only need accommodations on the route - in Edinburgh, I've got a friend at whose place I can stay.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just as well you have already got your accommodation as the population of Edinburgh literally doubles in August with the arrival of 500,000 visitors, I kid you not. I can't give much advice about accommodation south of the border but if you need to stop for the night between Coldstream and Auld Reekie, this might help.

If you are coming up the North Sea cycle route (NCN1) I would suggest that when you get to Bonnyrigg turn onto the number 73 cycle route (NCN 73) and follow it to Auchendinny. From Auchendinny take the B7026 to the A701 and follow that road into Edinburgh. Admittedly the Loanhead to Straiton section isn't much fun but it is only a couple of miles and it is better than the route round the houses that the NCN 1 takes you on.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Hi again guys and gals,

After spending a bit of time peering over maps, I came up with the route going along the East coast, more or less, through the following places: Cambridge - Wisbech - Boston - Mablethorpe - Grimsby - Humber bridge -
Kingston upon Hull - York - Middlesbrough - Newcastle - Morpeth -
Edinburgh. Would appreciate your comments on this route. Thanks!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
samid said:
Hi again guys and gals,

After spending a bit of time peering over maps, I came up with the route going along the East coast, more or less, through the following places: Cambridge - Wisbech - Boston - Mablethorpe - Grimsby - Humber bridge -
Kingston upon Hull - York - Middlesbrough - Newcastle - Morpeth -
Edinburgh. Would appreciate your comments on this route. Thanks!

Samid, Good choice of route, there are some nice places to stay along the route. The Norfolk Broads are nice (and flat) Cambridgeshire has nice villages to visit (and is flat). As you get towards Mablethorpe and Grimsby is gets a little hilly. I know you have picked a seaside-ish route, but it is also nice in Lincoln and well worth a visit. A ride over the Humber Bridge is a must - it used to be the longest in the world. Over the bridge you are into East Yorkshire, Beverley is nice, as is York, and you can get around on fairly quiet back roads. From York northwards you travel up the vale of York, very scenic with some nice market towns along the way, Easingwold, Thirsk. The White Horse at Kilburn is a good scenic place to visit. As you ride north towards Thirsk just look to the east, you can't miss it. I start to lack knowledge when you get towards Middlesborough, so perhaps someone else could take the ride from there?

Top Bottom