London to Paris 300 miles in 4 days for Amnesty International

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

invisibleway

Regular
Event title: Cycle London to Paris for Amnesty International UK
Event date/s: 03/09/2014 - 07/09/2017
Event location: London
Event organiser: Skyline Events
Your relationship: CycleChat member passing on info
Cost of entry: £99
Minimum sponsorship: £1450
Beneficiary: Amnesty International UK
Event link: http://www.amnesty.org.uk/events/cycle-london-paris-2014

Hello,
I am doing this bike ride with a friend in September for Amnesty International UK as they do a lot of work for LGBTQ rights and we were moved by the appalling events in Russia as well as many other countries of course.

Or go directly to our just giving page here
http://www.justgiving.com/Elliot-Joy

Or you can even text EJJG50 and the amount to 70070. e.g EJJG50 £5

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Why does there have to be a minimum amount of sponsorship? I have seen this before on other events.
Whatever happened to being grateful for what you can get?

OP
OP
invisibleway

invisibleway

Regular
I'm not sure, i've never done something like this. I guess they invest quite a lot in getting us there so want to
make sure your raise enough to actually allow them to cover costs and have money to use in the cause.
I think it's good to have a target, atm it seems unachievable but i'm sure we'll get there.

Why does there have to be a minimum amount of sponsorship? I have seen this before on other events.
Whatever happened to being grateful for what you can get?

Transport (ferry crossing there; Eurostar back), accommodation, meals and luggage transportation are all covered by your registration fee and fundraising target - you don't need to worry about extra costs leading up to the trip

So donors are also paying for a nice holiday.

http://www.discoveradventure.com/images/pdf/London to Paris Cycle Itinerary.pdf
The cost of that trip £800, so assuming they are similar, half the donations are paying for the trip.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
So donors are also paying for a nice holiday.

http://www.discoveradventure.com/images/pdf/London to Paris Cycle Itinerary.pdf
The cost of that trip £800, so assuming they are similar, half the donations are paying for the trip.
For that particular ride I agree. But what about others? For example the London/surrey thing last August.
Just seems to me that it's rude to stipulate an amount when people are doing it out of the goodness of their heart.
I know free places are available on certain rides, but I'm talking the charity places.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Skyline are fab and they really look after you and they do allow you to pay for the costs up front, about £800, so everything people donate goes straight to the charity.

I did it three years ago it'll was epic. I write blog: Misstillyflop.WordPress.com. Word of advice-for "undulation" , "read massive hill"

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It takes 3 years?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
In that case it sort of becomes not charity anymore.
I just personally can't see how you can call something charity, when they're telling you how much you have to raise before you start.

If you're doing an organised event that costs the charity a certain amount, then they need to make sure you raise at least that or they will not get any actual donations at all.
If you pay your own way first, then I agree there shouldn't be a minimum sponsorship amount.

OP
OP
invisibleway

invisibleway

Regular
I wouldn't agree donors are paying for a nice holiday at all... if I had the money for a holiday a 300 mile bike ride would not be my first choice.
Also if I had the money i'd also pay the costs myself but I don't so I'm doing the best I can and trying to achieve something for the greater good.
I will be donating to my own cause whenever money permits.
Putting on a big event to raise money and paying for all of those costs
Paying for permits to fundraise in the city centre and an accountant
Paying for flyers to be printed

Joy who i'm riding with and is a professional artist has made the sketch in my avatar
These are being made into prints and possibly t shirts.
Costs paid for by us

And its not all about the money, all the events we are doing all the promo we are doing etc
is also raising awareness for human rights and LGBTQ rights in particular. Informing people
is also part of why we are doing this.

You can't donate to any charity without some of the money going to costs or wages.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I wouldn't agree donors are paying for a nice holiday at all... if I had the money for a holiday a 300 mile bike ride would not be my first choice.
Also if I had the money i'd also pay the costs myself but I don't so I'm doing the best I can and trying to achieve something for the greater good.
I will be donating to my own cause whenever money permits.
Putting on a big event to raise money and paying for all of those costs
Paying for permits to fundraise in the city centre and an accountant
Paying for flyers to be printed

Joy who i'm riding with and is a professional artist has made the sketch in my avatar
These are being made into prints and possibly t shirts.
Costs paid for by us

And its not all about the money, all the events we are doing all the promo we are doing etc
is also raising awareness for human rights and LGBTQ rights in particular. Informing people
is also part of why we are doing this.

You can't donate to any charity without some of the money going to costs or wages.
I agree with your last sentence, make sense!
But I still think it's wrong to demand a certain amount or you can't enter.
I thought the basic fundamental of charity giving, is giving what you can, when you can?

clid61

Veteran
My understanding is
a) fixed ENTRY fee , ie our national charity rides, eg manchester to blackpool . Pay an entry fee , paid by ones good self , which covers the cost of admin for whatever needs administrating ?! Then you raise as much as you can for your charity .

b) london to paris is ENTRY fee as above + accomodation, supplied by the organiser ? so £799 for a cycling holiday . If you pay ENTRY fee + fundraising target of £1300 then its in your interests to raise that £1300, or more , to cover cost of trip cost (£650 ) and donation to charity (£650).

Does that sound right ?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
My understanding is
a) fixed ENTRY fee , ie our national charity rides, eg manchester to blackpool . Pay an entry fee , paid by ones good self , which covers the cost of admin for whatever needs administrating ?! Then you raise as much as you can for your charity .

b) london to paris is ENTRY fee as above + accomodation, supplied by the organiser ? so £799 for a cycling holiday . If you pay ENTRY fee + fundraising target of £1300 then its in your interests to raise that £1300, or more , to cover cost of trip cost (£650 ) and donation to charity (£650).

Does that sound right ?
The entry fee is standard for these things, that I understand. And I'm assuming you have to pay that in advance to enter.
That's all cool. But my problem is charities telling you that you've got to guarantee a certain amount in sponsorship.
So the way I see it, is. £799 eg pays entry, accommodation etc. then you HAVE to raise £1500 for eg on top of that in sponsorship.
That's the part I can't really agree with. In my opinion charitable donations should be whatever you can raise, not what you're told you must raise.

Top Bottom