London to Paris Route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timmyflash

Hi all,

Many thanks for responses about GPS. Am starting to think i may just go with a map actually...

Does anyone have any advice of routes from London to Paris. Better to go via Calais or Dieppe? Why? Specific routes i can follow nabbed from somewhere online? As my first long trip, i would be more comfortable following a route someone has done that just making one up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

rickangus

Über Member
I think a lot of people go via Dieppe for a couple of reasons; firstly there is a very reasonably priced ferry service from Newhaven and secondly there is a 'voie verte' (tarmac-ed railway line) that runs about 26 miles towards Paris. That said, I found that section the most boring... I don't know what the ride is like from Calais - obviously a bit longer but I'm not aware of it being particularly beautiful.

For the final bit into Paris have a look at the following link:

http://www.mayq.com/Cycling_out_of_paris/Best_bycling_routes_from_Paris.htm

I know it's about cycling out of Paris but I'm sure you're capable of reversing the directions. Note also the wise advice of not approaching from the north - skirt to the west and come in from there.

Whilst I like gadgets such as GPS I really don't think you'd need one for that journey. In fact I think you'd find it to be unnecessary clutter.

I'm sure many people on this forum will have 'turn by turn' directions supplied by various holiday companies - if you're lucky someone may supply you with a copy.

Hi

I (and two friends) am doing L2P setting off on 13th this month.

Key info-
All of us are first time on such venture (done long day rides only before).
Ferry Dover-Calais as other longer routes seem a bit of a cheat!
Set off London Sat 7am Dover for about 6pm ferry over to B&B Calais.
Back roads route down to Amiens for overnight B&B
Paris by Monday Evening. Back home by Eurostar that evening and off to work the next day.

We could not find a route we liked so we have made up our own. Michelin 1;200000 map has hills marked (over 5%) so good to plan by.

If you are interested PM me and I can send the route to you (Converted map to list of instructions for onthe road). I can also let you know if it has any problems after I have done it.

We found a bike route into Paree Via Bld de Sebastopol due north from Notre Dame. None look easy but it is only the last couple of miles as paris is so much more compact than london.

Other routes seem to go on a bit of a tour on the way down where we were looking for the shortest (non hilly) route. It works out to be about 90 miles each day. I guess it would be simple to split it more if you wanted.

Top Bottom