FNRttC London to WHITSTABLE - 25 August 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sagefly

Veteran
Very true User10571, on the cold nights spending 30 minutes in nearly zero degrees is challenging. Though I see it as giving something back. The Fridays has been a real benefit to me. Plus it's just manners to wait until the all upper comes through.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
You'll also need an inverter to run EL wire - it operates on AC current - which you won't get from a battery without using an inverter.
Oh dear, this is getting complicated. In the eBay picture there was a sort of small box thing, which I hope will do the inverting-thingy business. Whatever that is.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Think of it as a badge of certification. If you hold the coveted order of the waymarker then you have been trained and can be trusted to stand still like a lemon until the actual all-upper arrives.
I like this idea... a kind of Friday's Nights Templar....

rb58

Enigma
Seems to me that there have been problems with newbies waymarking during the last few rides; perhaps it hasn't been made clear enough to them how vital it is that they stay in place until the designated all-upper comes by. Many's the time I have ridden along on my own in the pitch dark for what seemed like hours, wondering if I'd gone wrong somewhere but feeling ultimately reassured that eventually a waymarker would loom up. The idea that this system might fail is alarming to someone like me, with no sense of direction, lost in the dark. You're right Stu, it's an issue that needs addressing very seriously.
I think we need to keep this in perspective. It wasn't a disaster, but is something the 'committee ' is looking at.

Bear in mind, sometimes the ride leader sometimes only has newbies immediately behind, so you're forced to make do. But yes, as stated, there's no need to over-think things.

For Bognor, I'll be emphasising what's required and what not to do. There'll be some additional things for people to join in participating along with shouting out what to do if they spot a hole etc.

rb58

Enigma
Other than the Crayford incident, which was a newbie, the other incident I'm aware of in Sittingbourne was not a first timer.

I think we're over thinking this and detracting from what, in my opinion, was a very successful ride.

U

User10571

Other than the Crayford incident, which was a newbie, the other incident I'm aware of in Sittingbourne was not a first timer.

I think we're over thinking this and detracting from what, in my opinion, was a very successful ride.
'Zactly that, Ross.
A hiccup which was dealt with.

rb58

Enigma
Bear in mind, sometimes the ride leader sometimes only has newbies immediately behind, so you're forced to make do.

This was very much the case on Friday. Which is one of the reasons I left people in pairs (but not the only one - I was also concerned for the safety of some in certain location). Where I knew they were newbies I also pointed out exactly where I wanted them to stand.

But as I said above, from the feedback I've had, it was a very successful ride.

U

User10571

In any event, I've added some more blurb to my specific notes which I send out in an email to newbies, to talk about waymarking and the need to wait for an All Up, but also stressing that only strong riders at the front will be asked to volunteer.
No harm in that and probably a good move.

Tim Hall

You know you want to, I saw you eyeing up Charlotte's bike.....
http://tinyurl.com/ycqzdk9d
Charlotte? Bling? Like this:
l4z84M5BPzxe_MnOOwA3ODR85WqGVeefKH3WbdrkAWvWr5BxLKZxfeCB8clsPp2QAOMhGsyNg76cS2K9yb=w1166-h780-no.jpg

Top Bottom