london underground facts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I was just reading a list of facts about the london underground - I like lists, anyone got a problem with that?

And I came across this one at number 38:

Pigeons regularly travel from West Ham in east London to central London on the tube in order to get more food.

http://solo2.abac.com/themole/tubefacts.html

Can this be true? I know that cats go on holiday on trains by themselves but.... hmmm. All the rest of the facts sound true so I'm going to give it some credence.

luplowe

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I have seen pictures of pidgeons on trains, but I don't reckon they know the routes. Their brain must be the size of a grain of rice...

zimzum42 said:
I have seen pictures of pidgeons on trains, but I don't reckon they know the routes. Their brain must be the size of a grain of rice...

They don't need to know the routes. They have little undergound maps in the back of their diaries.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Regent's Park, Piccadilly Circus, Hyde Park Corner and Bank are some of the few stations which do not have an above ground surface building.

Eh? I accept that Bank has only little stair thingys - as does Blackfriars, and that Hyde Park Corner is part of another building (but see Brixton, Euston, Victoria and any number of others) but Regents Park does have an above ground building. (Retires to Tubespotters Club HQ to read old timetables....)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I once saw a pigeon hop on a train at Earls Court, then hop off at Fulham Boradway.. bet he didn't have a ticket

Abitrary said:
I was just reading a list of facts about the london underground - I like lists, anyone got a problem with that?

And I came across this one at number 38:

Pigeons regularly travel from West Ham in east London to central London on the tube in order to get more food.

http://solo2.abac.com/themole/tubefacts.html

Can this be true? I know that cats go on holiday on trains by themselves but.... hmmm. All the rest of the facts sound true so I'm going to give it some credence.

Melvil

willhub said:
Disgusting...

Travelling on the tube for 40 minutes is the equivalent of smoking two cigarettes - so save yourself a packet, all you smokers and get on the tube more often.

What else can you inhale down there????

How is it equivalent? I'd like to know.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
dellzeqq said:
Regent's Park, Piccadilly Circus, Hyde Park Corner and Bank are some of the few stations which do not have an above ground surface building.

Eh? I accept that Bank has only little stair thingys - as does Blackfriars, and that Hyde Park Corner is part of another building (but see Brixton, Euston, Victoria and any number of others) but Regents Park does have an above ground building. (Retires to Tubespotters Club HQ to read old timetables....)
Pray tell me about this building Dellers. As far as I can tell, all there is is a wall and some stairs, hardly a bulding....

gavintc

Guru
Until recently, it is reported the Met were discouraging Brazilians from travelling. Perhaps pigeons are deemed less of a problem.:whistle:

Top Bottom