London [well Kent] to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

Saturday 08 May 2010

blank.gif

8 May, Saturday: Hayes (Kent) to Brighton, the Scenic route

c.58 miles 4400ft of climbing
Meet Trevor Hughes outside Lewisham station main entrance @ 0800 to catch the 0814 to Hayes (Kent), arriving there at 0841.
Or Andrew Fergar outside Bromley South station @ 0815, to ride to our rendevous point - Hayes station, by 0845.
Our route today is largely on small roads and country lanes, intentionally planned as a quieter route to Brighton, but we will still need to go use some B roads . It will be quite hilly at times, although stretched out over 58 miles and with Ditchling beacon to climb at the end, we should able to get to Brighton station by 1700. Lunch is likely
to be at the rather nice Oak Inn at Ardingly, with a beer or two planned in Brighton for the end of the ride, for anyone interested.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sorry I couldn't come along. How was it?

OP
OP

139NI

There were 13 riders in all. i was expecting perhaps 5 or 6 at the most - surprising cos of the weather was predicted to be grey and light rain all day, but everyone wants to cycle to Brighton don't they... There was a 69yr old dude on it- managed it admirably.

The weather was not really an issue, there were a few moments where it rained hard but this lasted 15 mins at most prior to start of climb at Ditchling so minds was on something else. Of course it could have been bright and warm but you cant always get what you want!

The pace was fairly quick at times, there was a racing snake on the ride who had 2 punctures and his bike got turned into a single speed after his derailler jocky wheel fell off. No other mechanicals.

Lunch was at a pub in ARDINGLY, fantastic food.

The terrain - not the easiest way to get to Brighton, as the undulations took its toll on the legs, but one I would repeat again - good views from good route selection by Trevor. Only a few minor 'B' road bits which was not avoidable and tolerable. The climb at Ditchling was predictable difficult at times claiming two riders who ended up walking up the last bit of it. The 'run down' to Brighton after the climb was a roller-coaster ride done at high speed.

At 2/3rds of the way, fearing that the group was too slow, a splinter group of 3 departed to get to Brighton more quickly in order to catch a train with pre-booked tickets, but ended up on the same 18.19hrs train to London as the others.

In all, a fab days riding - enjoyed by all.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sounds like lots of fun. I love that run down to the town. The FNRttC does it with some splendour, particularly in the absence of traffic.

Top Bottom