LONDONERS! I need your help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whiskey88

I've been looking at this for a little while. Am I correct in thinking that there are no Thames crossings further downstream than Tower Bridge that you can legally and safely ride your bike across? I'm aware of the Greenwich and Woolwich tunnels, but you can't "legally" ride across them.

Nut E1

You're right, that would be the last, until Dartford, they will give you a lift across.
Woolwich and Tilbury have Ferry crossings too.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

I used the Woolwich ferry today and whilst it was alright (it is free after all), I want to keep my legs and cogs spinning. I'm not sure the ferry operators would be all that impressed if I started cycling around the cars parked on the vehicle deck. The Woolwich tunnel is a bit annoying at the moment though, as both lifts are out of operation and the stairs would make even the fittest person sweat if they were carrying a bike!

On a side note, it did make me laugh that there was a "Cyclists Dismount" sign at the end of the "non-rideable" tunnel and the bottom of the stairs. Who is that sign for?

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

I did look at that earlier today as I *cough* "walked" *cough* my bicycle along. I know I couldn't do it on my bike without causing myself some serious harm, but I'd love to see it done. Why are those barriers there anyhow? They don't seem to be protecting anything or slowing anyone down.

Top Bottom