Long bendy lorries - yikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
albal said:
I dont see the problem. The nights motorways to and from brum are awash with trunkers.
Would it not be sensible to half these? As most are 'mega's' or 'supercubes', It's ideal for volume. Hardly ideal for multidrop around south east, with so much traffic on our roads you'd hardly notice it.

Exactly. Everyone who is horrified by these seems to think they'll be driving around town centres. That's not what they're designed for, but as a motorway trunking tool, they'd be absolutely ideal.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I guess those of us worried about them are passed by lorries who have pulled in too soon after they think that they have passed us. I agree on the motorway they might be a good idea but I can't see how they would restrict them to motorways.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok - just been checking my local news and found this - cyclist hit by lorry this morning:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news...oad-smash/article-1565809-detail/article.html

and for some other photos:
http://bristolcars.blogspot.com/2009/12/life-changing-injuries-on-cotham-hill.html

Now given the location - near the uni - I am certainly not going to assume the lorry is at fault... there are usually loads of students cycling there however knowing that road I don't think its a brilliant location for a depot (never realised that it was one there actually). I realised that these things develop over time but do we need articulated lorries in that area?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...4519,-2.609717&spn=0.001173,0.002712&t=h&z=19

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Rhythm Thief said:
Clearly one 460 horsepower tractor unit towing 44 tonnes is greener than, er, two 460 horsepower units towing 44 tonnes. Or three, even, depending on the load. I'm sorry if it's difficult.
of course there'd be less need for drivers as well...

One thing's for sure - the longer the lorry, the greater the need for care. If you had to take an additional test to get a (rescindable) license to drive one of these things we might all be better off.

dellzeqq said:
of course there'd be less need for drivers as well...

One thing's for sure - the longer the lorry, the greater the need for care. If you had to take an additional test to get a (rescindable) license to drive one of these things we might all be better off.

I'm with you there. In just the same way, I had to get one licence to drive rigid lorries and another to drive artics. I'd happily take a third test to drive a road train. But "rescindable"? Only in the sense that all my driving licence entitlements are, surely?

der alt

Don't see a problem with this ,by the looks of the vehicle it would be a site to site trunk using motorways only ,and as the legal limit is still 44 ton it's still technically legal, the average artic is 17 meters long and this was 25 metres drove bigger in OZ :biggrin: though the handling was weird to say the least but it's all straight roads so no real hassle to turn.
Can just see the VOSA guys rubbing there hands in glee at this ,no doubt they'll be drawing up a raft of new rules as i type ..for haulage it's the way forward and it's not like there isn't split trailers on the road at the mo anyway and they are far worse to drive than a standard artic ..

Norm

Denby are a haulage company first and foremost. They are large enough that they do their own training and sell the service to others. Training is not their main income. The only time I saw it with L plates was when the BBC presenter was driving.

They have been trying to get VOSA to say yes or no to that truck for years. I've a friend who saw it in action back in 2005. Denby only took to the roads because they wanted confirmation one way or the other.

It will be very tough for them to use it anywhere anyway, as few docks would be able to take it and few yards would have the room for it. It could only be used for trunker operations but I do think that such freight distribution should be done by rail rather than road.

Norm

4F said:
LOL have you ever tried using Railfreight :tongue: The service is a joke
Yes, I used to get the 8:04 to Paddington every day... or did that just feel like I was being treated like freight? ;)

Yes, sorting RailFreight would be one of the fundamental changes to getting more people to use it. I'm a demand-driven kinda guy, I have optimism that we can "build it and they will come". ;)

D4VOW

Norm said:
DenbyIt could only be used for trunker operations but I do think that such freight distribution should be done by rail rather than road.

This I agree with, something needs to be done to get freight off the roads and back onto the rail system.

gavintc

Guru
D4VOW said:
This I agree with, something needs to be done to get freight off the roads and back onto the rail system.

And where do we put the people. Our rail network is close to max capacity and would need significant additional investment to use it effectively for freight. It is currently optimised for passenger movement.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Rhythm Thief said:
I'm with you there. In just the same way, I had to get one licence to drive rigid lorries and another to drive artics. I'd happily take a third test to drive a road train. But "rescindable"? Only in the sense that all my driving licence entitlements are, surely?
quite

Top Bottom