Long bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is something I'm really interested in. I love the idea of a bike that can carry obscene amounts of gear.
Has anyone got one? How have you found it?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
front load, or back? which sort do you mean?:becool:

bakfiets.jpg

march%207%20030.JPG

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Hubbers, this is my attempt at making a bike that does the same job as your Pashley.

It's going to be homemade, and load-at-the-rear; along the same lines as the Xtracycle.

Have to take the boat that way for blacking, so might try a visit to Bristol.

Watch this space!

hubgearfreak

Über Member
chris667 said:
It's going to be homemade, and load-at-the-rear; along the same lines as the Xtracycle.

nice idea, i take it that the welding classes going well then:smile:

what's your base frame, and what's your gearing going to be?

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Don't laugh... the back half of a URT mountain bike frame, which is going on an old Claud Butler mountain bike.
Gearing will be derralieurbased, as that's the wheels I have; I would have a hub gear in an ideal world, but I have some Arai drum brake wheels that accept a threaded freewheel and no money. 11-28 rear, and either a single ring or a mountain bike triple at the front.
Obviously, it's still at the experimental stage. But I reckon it could be grand.

Shaun

Founder
This thread was removed for moderation after an allegation was made that Really Useful Bikes were an unethical company.

The statement was retracted by the poster after discussions with the involved parties, and to the best of my knowledge Really Useful Bikes are not, and never have been, an unethical company.

The thread is now open again for discussion.

Thanks,
Shaun :cry:

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
hubgearfreak said:
i'm not laughing chris:smile:. what's a URT?
Unified Rear Triangle, the design of choice for all BSO full sussers. Think of a Y frame Trek.
I reckon I could have a 130mm BB axle, and use it as the attachment point for the donor bike's dropouts. Then all I need is to find a way to keep it all level, and the job will be a goodun.

Top Bottom