Long Commute Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I'm attempting a long commute home (for me) of 32 miles tomorrow; ordinarily I wouldn't have a problem with this except it's over the limit of what I normally ride in the week (up to ten miles) or weekend, taking it easy (20 miles'ish) and it's at night. It's all on A & B roads some busy and I'll be using a road bike. Any tips to making it achievable/successful?

I can bail out with reasonable safety at 5 mile intervals as the commute follows the train line home, but I'm one of those people who once they set their mind to it usually follows through.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
I'm attempting a long commute home (for me) of 32 miles tomorrow; ordinarily I wouldn't have a problem with this except it's over the limit of what I normally ride in the week (up to ten miles) or weekend, taking it easy (20 miles'ish) and it's at night. It's all on A & B roads some busy and I'll be using a road bike. Any tips to making it achievable/successful?

I can bail out with reasonable safety at 5 mile intervals as the commute follows the train line home, but I'm one of those people who once they set their mind to it usually follows through.

surfgurl

Take something to eat, so you can stop and have a snack.
Make sure your bike, lights etc are all working fine.
Focus on what will greet you when you get home. Warm bath and a hot drink followed by a stiff drink.

surfgurl

Take something to eat, so you can stop and have a snack.
Make sure your bike, lights etc are all working fine.
Focus on what will greet you when you get home. Warm bath and a hot drink followed by a stiff drink.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Take some sort of backup lighting.

Sod's law states that this is the ride during which your normally reliable lights will fail...

And take your time. I always find that riding on a busy road makes me want to really push, just to get out of the way of the traffic and off the road. I arrive at the end of the ride in a pool of sweat sometimes (OK, some of that's from the stress of having a large vehicle overtake at 60 mph every couple of seconds). It takes a real effort of will to ease off and pace myself under these conditions.

Take your time, don't be pushed, and you'll do it no problem.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Take some sort of backup lighting.

Sod's law states that this is the ride during which your normally reliable lights will fail...

And take your time. I always find that riding on a busy road makes me want to really push, just to get out of the way of the traffic and off the road. I arrive at the end of the ride in a pool of sweat sometimes (OK, some of that's from the stress of having a large vehicle overtake at 60 mph every couple of seconds). It takes a real effort of will to ease off and pace myself under these conditions.

Take your time, don't be pushed, and you'll do it no problem.

Top Bottom