long distance soreness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I have recently upped my weekly mileage by quite a bit, I ride every day and do a 40+ mile ride on the weekend. My bike is set up properly and my riding position good but I am suffering extreme soreness where body meets saddle to the point were by the end of the ride I can barely sit down. I wear padded cycle shorts but this makes no difference. Is this just par for the course and I will get used to it, or is the there something I can do to lessen the discomfort. Any help/tips would be most welcome. Cheers.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Clean shorts every day and shower after each ride. A bath once a week really helps me and use sudocrem until the soreness clears up.

You will get used to it eventually

Big Nick

Me too!!

After speaking to more experienced cycling mates they recommend chamois cream but only on the proviso I don't tell anyone they use it !!

I think sudocrem is cheaper and the same stuff so I'm giving that a try on my next 40+ mile ride !!

oliglynn

Über Member
If it's rash type saddle soreness using chamois cream can help. If you don't want to use expensive chamois creams, savlon is okay too. I personally prefer Boots own brand Savlon equivalent as it seems to reduce friction better.
If it's sit-bone soreness, move around more, more padding, change saddle etc.

Cyclist33

Hi, I have recently upped my weekly mileage by quite a bit, I ride every day and do a 40+ mile ride on the weekend. My bike is set up properly and my riding position good but I am suffering extreme soreness where body meets saddle to the point were by the end of the ride I can barely sit down. I wear padded cycle shorts but this makes no difference. Is this just par for the course and I will get used to it, or is the there something I can do to lessen the discomfort. Any help/tips would be most welcome. Cheers.

Different saddle, or a change of angle perhaps?

When was the last time you gave your bum a break? Give it a day or two off here and there and let it recover.

My bike is set up properly and my riding position good but I am suffering extreme soreness where body meets saddle to the point were by the end of the ride I can barely sit down.

I feel that the two parts of this sentence are mutually exclusive. If your bike is correctly set up and your riding position is good you should not suffer from soreness. Unless this is a single event where you have developed a sore and you have not tended to it and not given the riding a break to allow it to heal I would sugget looking at you bike fit again.

doog

sudocreme is good, I use it on tour and it can literally work overnight as any parent can usually testify on the nappy rash issue.

The Mighty Boosh

When I started work all those years ago, I used to get blisters on my hands from using shovels and spades, now I don't.

When I got back into cycling properly last year my thighs hurt after every ride, to the extent that it hurt to walk, now they don't

buttocks used to get sore but as a above poster said move around a bit, and now they don't

you're body will get used to it.

no pain, no gain

Berties

Fast and careful!
Bike fit,The best shorts you can afford,chamois cream or equivalent,good personal hygiene,a saddle that's fits your seat bones (a lbs will test and supply)and time in the saddle,building up distance

Top Bottom