Long drop brake calipers - help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Weinman centre-pulls on this are not great...(as I found out today on a longer test ride)

Did a bit of research - found from Sheldon how to measure drop (about 65mm) , previous thread on here led me to Tektro R556

but there seem to be 2 models - nut fitting and allen key fitting.
The second option is cheaper - but says only for frames with allen key recesses - where on the frame? I'm guessing it will be the first and more expensive option given the age of bease, but I'd rather be sure so if anyone can shed light on this...

or any cheaper ways of improving braking performance ? Bearing in mind there are no cantilever bosses on frame or forks..

It refers to the attachment nut which you'll find at the back of the fork crown. Old bikes used 10mm hex nuts, new bikes use 5mm recessed alen key studs. I'm guessing you're a nut......

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
porkypete said:
You are right there....

I recently changed from some old weinman (nut) brakes to a second hand pair of 105 (allen) and drilled out the rear of the fork crown to fit.

I think the recessed allen looks nicer

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks FFFF
I can see that's feasible on the fork crown - I'm not sure about the rear, the seat stay bridge may not have enough meat to take it. What diameter do you have to drill to? what depth recess?

Alternatively will i improve braking performance significantly at less cost by changing the brake blocks?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I put a pair of Alonghas on my carlton continental commuter a while back replacing the weinmann centrepulls - a big improvement - fitted easilly. From SJS cycles I seem to remember. Improved braking noticably

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Pete, I've got a pair of Alhonga nut fitting deep drop brakes in my garage - I was going to put them in the classifieds here, then eBay. Would you be interested in them? I bought them from Spa cycles for my old bike, but sold that on before I got 'round to fitting the brakes, and they've sat in their box since.

I'd be looking for a tenner, plus postage at cost.

gbb

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
Thanks FFFF
I can see that's feasible on the fork crown - I'm not sure about the rear, the seat stay bridge may not have enough meat to take it. What diameter do you have to drill to? what depth recess?

Alternatively will i improve braking performance significantly at less cost by changing the brake blocks?

I had the same on my Clubman Pete...
I found nut fit calipers hard to find (at a reasonable price) so drilled the rear stay out to fit more commonly available allen fits...
Measure the diameter of the allen 'nut' and measure the diameter of the bridge...you'll then know how much meat is left....and there wasnt much on mine ( i didnt take the time to measure before i drilled....then realised how little was left :ohmy: ) That said, they've held up ok (so far)

Spend the money and get nut fits ( i would if i had to do it again)

Also, i fitted an Alhonga to the front and a Tektro on the rear ( just what was available on ebay at the time)...cant say i'm impressed with eithers braking ability. Perhaps different blocks would improve it.

4F

porkypete said:
Thanks FFFF

Certainly I did not have a huge amount to play with on the seat stay bridge so I took it very easy. Cannot remember the diameter but just measured the allen nut against my drills and took the closest one.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
Pete, I've got a pair of Alhonga nut fitting deep drop brakes in my garage - I was going to put them in the classifieds here, then eBay. Would you be interested in them? I bought them from Spa cycles for my old bike, but sold that on before I got 'round to fitting the brakes, and they've sat in their box since.

I'd be looking for a tenner, plus postage at cost.

Cheers John.
Sent you a PM

bigjim

Legendary Member
Maybe it is me but I do not have a problem with weinman brakes. I have side and centre pull on different bikes but have not noticed a braking problem. I do have them adjusted so they are almost touching the rim but they seem to work fine. Maybe I ride too slow. Be interesting to see how you go on. Good luck.

Jim.

4F

bigjim said:
Maybe it is me but I do not have a problem with weinman brakes. I have side and centre pull on different bikes but have not noticed a braking problem. I do have them adjusted so they are almost touching the rim but they seem to work fine. Maybe I ride too slow. Be interesting to see how you go on. Good luck.

Jim.

To be fair to my weinman brakes I only replaced them as they were looking a bit tatty.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
I used to ride Weinmann centre pulls all the time, never had a problem with them, although as you say Jim, they do need to be adjusted very close to rim.
The thing is, since those days, I've been using cantilever brakes on other bikes, and the old centre pulls just don't compare, hence the wish to change.

Top Bottom