Long haul for a beginner???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supabook

Good Morning guys / gals.

My names Simon and ive recently taken up cycling after a stupid discussion which got out of hand, and now means im cycling from Holyhead to London and back!! As part of the Supabook Charity Week.

Have i bitten off more than i can chew? Possibly... quite likely actually! Which is why ive turned to you bunch of cycling enthusiasts for a bit of guidance on what i can expect and what i need to prepare for.

On the 6th July 2009, myself and a college intend to commence our 5 day journey, in order to raise as much money possible for the Wales Air Ambulance, you can read a little more of the specifics here:

http://www.justgiving.co.uk/supabookcharityweek

Im relatively fit, I started training about 6 months ago with the intension of leaving my ordinary 9 - 5 and joining the Royal Marines, that’s still in the back of my mind and would be something id really like to do, although my real passion is to run my own business which im now doing, so ive put off the idea of the Royal Marines because of this (and a amazing girlfriend).

I have about a month ago bough a new bike specifically for the challenge a Wilier La Triestina-Lampre Road Bike along with the other bits and bobs needed (the Lycra shorts, a helmet, shoes etc) from wiggle.

Ive been training on the bike along with my college, but mostly alone almost every night for the last month or so, doing between 15 – 20 miles a night, with the odd 40 miler for good measure and mainly when the weather is not too crazy. Are we doing enough? What else should we be doing to increase our endurance? Are there any specific training technique’s we should be concentrating on to improve specific aspects?

The basis we are following is quite simple, but doesn’t necessarily mean we are doing it correctly. The first day of the trip will be the longest distance either of us have done before, the Holyhead – Redditch leg total’s 153 miles, our training so far, has been based around this, trying to keep above 15 mph, this translates to 10hrs @ 15 mph.

Our speed normally averages around 18mph on the flat with no little or no wind and as you guys know, can be a lot faster with a tail wind.

Could anyone on here more experienced than myself, advise us on any problems which we are likely to encounter physically / mentally? And how we should be preparing for them and overcoming them?

Im more than confident that both of us will complete this trip but really don’t want to underestimate the difficulty of it, so any help will be massively appreciated, be it in the form of physical training help or what we should be eating building up to and during the challenge.

Ohh by the way, if anyone has any interest in participating in or helping out on any aspect of the event, please do contact us on charity@supabook.co.uk, all support is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Simon

jags

Guru
fair play to you simon sounds a challange,especally the first day 153 miles is a long way on a bike no matter how much training youv'e done.the rest will be a piece of cake.i reckon things to get you throught this is ,pace keep it steady ,keep a light cadence no hero gears,food and lot's of it ,fruit cake (good quality) banana's energy drinks gels water ,basically dont go hungry and dont run out of liquid. wear the proper cloths very important ,good baselayer/shortsleeve jersey/armwarmers youcan take them off if you get to warm/as with legging. bib shorts the best you can afford assos are brilliant,assos chamois creame is your best friend honestly dont leave without it.training you need to get a few 50 milers in dont worry about average speeds ,but try and keep a good pace going watch your heart rate ,cadence should be around 90 ,speed can be anything between 15mph to 22mph depending on weather (wind).and lastly enjoy it dont let hard days on the bike wreck your head ,your young and strong ,and as you said it's for a great cause your girlfriend will look after you .very best of luck hope you make it let us know how you get on.
best of irish luck ...jags

I think 153 miles may be a big ask, tho' I'm not too hot on the geography from Holyhead.
Just to give you some idea of what you can do, I agree that distance needs to be done alot in training. My last ride was only 66 miles, which took me 5 1/2 hours with a pause for lunch, and three or four water/rest stops.
I found it just about enough for me (43 yrs old), but it's only the second long ride I've attempted this year (first was 30 miles), and I'm planning on a 125 mile ride in early May, so I have a couple of 100's planned for the next 2 weeks....!

Good luck with your ride - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

andym

Über Member
Unless you have done 100+ miles before I think you are taking too great a chance planning on a 153-mile day. Even regular cyclists would do it over two days.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
andym said:
Unless you have done 100+ miles before I think you are taking too great a chance planning on a 153-mile day. Even regular cyclists would do it over two days.

Some audax riders wouldn't. Some 300km riders finish comfortably within 12 hours my mind set stops me from having a go but I have no problems with 200km rides.

having said that I regularly do 100km Audaxes punctuated by the occasional 200kim and 150km ride. The original poster does need to pack in some longer rides if the 150 miler isn't going to break his spirit.

P.H

Über Member
I thoroughly recommend reading The Long Distance Cyclists Handbook, by Simon Doughty. It's full of useful information, bike, nutrition, training... pretty much everything you'd need to know (and a lot more besides)

My training for such a ride would include lots of short rides at high intensity and several long rides with no concern about speed (on such rides I take the computer off) You’ll find the speed will transfer without too much thought. I'd have liked to have done the maximum distance once. Not so much for fitness but physiological, when you've done it once you know you can do it again. I'd also try to do a couple of 100+ rides when not at my best, maybe deliberately not get enough sleep. You only need to look at some of us riding Audax to know being super fit isn’t essential, being comfortable on the bike and having the right mindset is. Probably stating the obvious, but I wouldn't do anything on the ride that wasn't tried and tested, bike, clothing, food. I'd also start backing off the training a month before, if you're not ready by then it's too late and being fresh is important.

Good luck, from what you said I'm pretty confident you'll do it. Being well prepared will just mean you'll enjoy it more.

andym

Über Member
vernon said:
Some audax riders wouldn't. Some 300km riders finish comfortably within 12 hours my mind set stops me from having a go but I have no problems with 200km rides.

having said that I regularly do 100km Audaxes punctuated by the occasional 200kim and 150km ride. The original poster does need to pack in some longer rides if the 150 miler isn't going to break his spirit.

The key words in my post were if 'Unless you've done 100+ miles before...'.

Yes perhaps my second sentence should have been qualified by 'most', but I wonder how many Audax cyclists would plan on doing 246km in a day, the day after a long ride (Redditch-London?), and the reverse on the way back - which is what Simon seems to be proposing to do if I've read his post correctly.

OP
OP
S

Supabook

Good evening guys,

A massive thank you to all who have responded to this thread, its a massive boost knowing the thoughts and opinions other people have.

My training has slowed this last week with me only doing around 70 miles all week due to a knee injury (think i was trying to do too much super hero stuff!!) but just been for a nice 30 miler and all seems to be ok.

The route we will be taking is as follows,

Holyhead - Redditch (153 miles)
Redditch - London (100 ish)
London - Nuneaton (100 ish)
Nuneaton - Liverpool (100 ish)
Liverpool - Holyhead (100 ish)

The main slog is on the first day, and the reason behind this is for psychological reasons, mainly because once this major haul is over the remaining days are considerably less at only 100 miles, and i feel that with this in our minds it will be a case of mind over matter.

Im not saying 100 miles is going to be easy by any means after doing such a haul, but sheer determination will see us all through it im more than confident.

The furthest distance i have cycled in a day is around 80 - 90 miles, not easy but i know that 100 is just adding more time, as i was not physically exhausted after completing this and could have done it all over again at the end quite happily, so i think 100 miles a day is a sensible distance (plus its all for a good cause)

Please do keep the advice coming, it is massively appreciated and is all being taken on board, i will try and respond a bit quicker this coming week.

Thanks for all the support guys,

Simon

(PS sorry if none of this makes sense, im in a huge hurry and haven’t had a chance to read over it – thanks all the same)

Plax

Guru
I think you definitely need to get more miles in. 15-40 miles isn't all that much if you plan on doing 153 miles in one day. It can be done I'm sure but I'd definitely get more miles in. If you're with a friend it won't be so bad but on your own it can be quite mentally draining (especially where hills are concerned!).
Have you tried cycling around the Island? You could do something like Holyhead - Four Mile Bridge - Valley - Aberffraw - Newborough - LlanfairPG - Beaumaris - Benllech - Cemaes - Llanfaethlu - Holyhead. That would be around 70 miles and would avoid the A55.
Out of interest which way would you go to Redditch? If you're going down the A5 I'd be inclined to stop off somewhere like Llangollen for the first day, or at least be prepared to stop there in case you don't feel like continuing on to Redditch.
Get some hills in would also be my advice. I can do 50 miles with ease on the flats, but find it a lot harder if I go up the Llanberis Pass or Nant Gwynant.

OP
OP
S

Supabook

Planning on going down the A5 through Llangollen that way, also contemplating setting off on the Sunday now and adding Oswestry to our list of stops, we intend on doing a round the island on Tuesday this week and if we add in Porthdafarch, rhoscolyn, RAF valley to the route, as well as Beaumaris and cemlyn, were hoping to get the distance up to around the 90+ mile mark, distance doesn’t seem to bother me too much as i enjoy riding, i like taking in the scenery the wind in my face (and the god dam midges), so the distance aspect is based on the time from my point of view.

Although i know about the hills along the A5 and agree its well worth contemplating an emergency stop or even setting off a day early, if we do set off a day early, any of you chaps fancy a leisurely ride to Oswestry on the Sunday?? :smile:

On another note, we're planning a Betws Y Coed and back one Saturday when the weather's nice if anyone fancy's that?

all the best

Simon

Plax

Guru
Oswestry probably a bit far for me to cycle there and back in one day (working the Mon and my week off is at the end of July), but Betws would be a do-er for me. If I don't drink too much Baileys tonight I was thinking about cycling over there tomorrow in fact (up the Ogwen and down the Pass, I'm trying my darndest to avoid as much hills tomorrow as I can!).

OP
OP
S

Supabook

People dont have to continue all the way to Oswestry, how about joining us as far as Betwys Y Coed? basically trying to generate as much interest as possible in order to raise as much money for the Air Ambulance as possible.

On on Tuesday went from Holyhead, round Aberffraw - Hermon, through Bethel to Rhostrehwfa, accross Paris mountain round Amlwch - Cemaes, Llanfaethlu back to Holyhead, so effectivly half the island, was a nice ride and a brilliant day for it.

Was hoping to go all the way around tomorrow, but i pulled my groin last night playing football so think it will be wiser to rest for a bit?

Plax

Guru
I might take you up on that then.

Might be worth a rest day or two if you've pulled your groin, certainly don't a vrey long ride if you do decide to go out.

Do you play football for a local team?

Supabook said:
People dont have to continue all the way to Oswestry, how about joining us as far as Betwys Y Coed? basically trying to generate as much interest as possible in order to raise as much money for the Air Ambulance as possible.

On on Tuesday went from Holyhead, round Aberffraw - Hermon, through Bethel to Rhostrehwfa, accross Paris mountain round Amlwch - Cemaes, Llanfaethlu back to Holyhead, so effectivly half the island, was a nice ride and a brilliant day for it.

Was hoping to go all the way around tomorrow, but i pulled my groin last night playing football so think it will be wiser to rest for a bit?

Top Bottom