Long Mynd to Bradford, 1976

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lowerstill

Good tale, I know that parched feeling very well and the joys of a Pennine. My first bike was a converted penning track bike that was more than a little skitty for a novice cyclist at the time!

On a slightly sad note the pub next to the youth hostel has just closed. Yet another rural real ale/live music pub gone.

However on a slightly older trip down someone else's memory the youth hostel itself is the reason I now live in Shropshire. My father stayed there in 1956 as a last stop off before heading back to Bedford on an easter cycle tour. I seem to remember he also used to stop there when commuting between Leeds and his in-laws in Cardiff about the same time you were going the other way... so you probably passed each other ;-). Anyway cut to many years later we ended up moving down from Leeds to follow his love of cycling in Shropshire, either that or he got fed up of all those Yorkshire climbs!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have not been to long mynd for over 20years

pubrunner

Legendary Member
On a slightly sad note the pub next to the youth hostel has just closed. Yet another rural real ale/live music pub gone.

Is that the Horseshoe Inn ? Shame if that's gone.

I went in there about 15 years ago, after a Fell Race which started very close to another pub (Yew Tree) in All Stretton.

Do you live close to there, lowerstill ? it is a beautiful part of Shropshire. I live West of Oswestry, in another hilly region - very close to the Berwyns.

Been on the Long Mynd in snow so deep that it was above the car in places when I was about seven or eight. Only turned back because my grandad was worried that he couldn't walk anywhere whith his thrombosis and he didn't fancy getting stuck. Always a favorite part of the country for me.

Top Bottom