Long running Bad Back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz Vickers

Just after a little advice, I have a long running problem, When i was 18 i was in a car crash! ever since i occassionally experience back pain in the base of my spine area! it happens if i lift anything moderately heavy or sometimes just by bending down. My question is - Does anyone know of any gentle exercises/stretches which could help? Thanks in advance. Gary.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

[QUOTE 1972051, member: 9609"]Pilates will teach you correct posture, strengthen your core muscles (these being the muscles that support your spine) and also show you how to stretch properly so as you can keep a good range of movements in all of your joints.

lots of gentle cycling is also wonderful.[/quote]
Ahh i see, never looked into pilates! I always thought it was for girls! :laugh:, Not sure i have time to do classes but i will google to see if any i can do at home! Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Posture and Pilates will cure a range of problems. You don't necessarily need a class (though it is easier to get motivated if you do) as the positions haven't really changed since the original text was proposed. Check your library for a book, or buy a video to try it out.

I've got a bad back too, so you have my sympathy. For me, recumbents gave me comfortable strengthening exercise.
Supported sit ups to cross every junction soon leads to a core of steel ;)

Andy

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Posture and Pilates will cure a range of problems. You don't necessarily need a class (though it is easier to get motivated if you do) as the positions haven't really changed since the original text was proposed. Check your library for a book, or buy a video to try it out.

I've got a bad back too, so you have my sympathy. For me, recumbents gave me comfortable strengthening exercise.
Supported sit ups to cross every junction soon leads to a core of steel ;)

Andy
Cheers Andy, I've got the wife to scour various sites on the internet looking for a DVD! Hopefully with her help i can stay motivated! :thumbsup:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Just after a little advice, I have a long running problem, When i was 18 i was in a car crash! .

Me too, well I fell out of a car while being a twat at high speed, but I didn't plan to fall out so I'm calling it as an accident!

I suffered for years, to the extent that I sometimes couldn't stand at all and had to be helped to the toilet! Then one day I went to a chiropactor and my life has been MUCH better ever since! I'm super-sceptical about any treatment that the NHS won't pay for, but my god my back was so bad I'd fall over if someone bumped into me at the pub, and not just because of the six pints of ale I'd enjoy of a pre-parenthood evening...

Constant cycling has strengthened my back massively, although if I stop for too long on very long rides I need help getting back in the saddle, once back on the bike the peddling frees up by lower back and the pain goes away.

This post has been sponsored by the society for over-use of commas.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Me too, well I fell out of a car while being a twat at high speed, but I didn't plan to fall out so I'm calling it as an accident!

I suffered for years, to the extent that I sometimes couldn't stand at all and had to be helped to the toilet! Then one day I went to a chiropactor and my life has been MUCH better ever since! I'm super-sceptical about any treatment that the NHS won't pay for, but my god my back was so bad I'd fall over if someone bumped into me at the pub, and not just because of the six pints of ale I'd enjoy of a pre-parenthood evening...

Constant cycling has strengthened my back massively, although if I stop for too long on very long rides I need help getting back in the saddle, once back on the bike the peddling frees up by lower back and the pain goes away.

This post has been sponsored by the society for over-use of commas.
Glad you are improving! i'm never quite that bad, but bad enough for it to bother me! Hopefully just some simple strength exercises and cycling are enough to make my life easier! Cheers buddy!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
These days it's almost as if I don't have a bad back at all, but it's still useful for getting me out of carrying heavy things!

Without wishing to sound too doomy it might be worth a trip to a chiropractor - part of the reason my back got so bad was that I did nothing about it for about fifteen years, and that was fifteen years of the undamaged parts of my back taking the strain for the damaged bit :blush:

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

These days it's almost as if I don't have a bad back at all, but it's still useful for getting me out of carrying heavy things!

Without wishing to sound too doomy it might be worth a trip to a chiropractor - part of the reason my back got so bad was that I did nothing about it for about fifteen years, and that was fifteen years of the undamaged parts of my back taking the strain for the damaged bit :blush:
Yeah true! Maybe i should as mine started about 14 years ago! D'oh! :whistle:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The first time I got my kit off for the chiropractor he said 'you've been in a car accident haven't you...'

Oh bum thought I.

Berties

Fast and careful!
pilates all the way a hour and a half a week,i had a car accident 18 months ago effected my posture then you get secondary injures
i did a couple of terms,improved posture and core strength,
many pilates teachers are post back injury sufferers and will discuss your needs and weaknesses ,and will observe certain movements and correct you

Top Bottom