Long shot. Plymouth to Sweden anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done Hoek to Sweden and Northampton to Sweden but I would not bother with the second one as I took a bit of a diversion

Really from Plymouth its just a matter of getting across the channel and going north along the coast till either you run out of Denmark (there should be a sign to the ferry in Fredrickshaven) or turn right at Husum and follow the signs for Copenhagen (on a nice day you can see Sweden from there) - nothing tricky about it

OP
OP
looe

looe

I've done Hoek to Sweden and Northampton to Sweden but I would not bother with the second one as I took a bit of a diversion

Really from Plymouth its just a matter of getting across the channel and going north along the coast till either you run out of Denmark (there should be a sign to the ferry in Fredrickshaven) or turn right at Husum and follow the signs for Copenhagen (on a nice day you can see Sweden from there) - nothing tricky about it

That's was my initial thought........... is it flat and scenic as I have hills here in Cornwall every day..... By the way, I am Swedish........

hilly - not really - dead flat if you follow the coast all the way to Fredrickshaven - a few slight bumps (<100m on Odensee) - east coast of Denmark is a roller coaster - undulating at around 100m but some short sharp downs and ups to the towns

Anyway as a Swede you ought to know the way better than me

OP
OP
looe

looe

hilly - not really - dead flat if you follow the coast all the way to Fredrickshaven - a few slight bumps (<100m on Odensee) - east coast of Denmark is a roller coaster - undulating at around 100m but some short sharp downs and ups to the towns

Anyway as a Swede you ought to know the way better than me

Hard to see the undulations from a Boing.................lol

Apart from the dunes/dykes it is pretty difficult most of the time to see them from the height of a bike

(I hesitate to talk about the wind - generally SW and quite strong - which is good - when its not (which has been the case for a lot of the time this year) - it is not good)

OP
OP
looe

looe

Apart from the dunes/dykes it is pretty difficult most of the time to see them from the height of a bike

(I hesitate to talk about the wind - generally SW and quite strong - which is good - when its not (which has been the case for a lot of the time this year) - it is not good)

lol

snorri

Legendary Member
Plymouth to Sweden by bike? If so I can do with your route.
Route would be a matter of personal choice, there are so many options available. Do you want the shortest route, most scenic route, rural route or a route passing through cities? Do you want only short ferry crossings or happy with longer crossings? How much time do you have available? Do you have views on having to use rail for some water crossings? Which part of Sweden are you aiming for? That would make a difference too.
Do you really need to follow a planned route, many of us just buy a map and go. :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
No, but York to Norway isn't so far off. Both journeys have the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark in the way.

You can get our route here, and we had no problems with it. We're thinking of doing something similar another time, but taking a much more direct route across NL to Germany, and going via Copenhagen and the Oresund bridge into Sweden, then around the Swedish and Norway coast to Christiansand and onto Lista. If we run out of time or get fed up with the up-and-down in Norway, we can get on a bus.

OP
OP
looe

looe

Route would be a matter of personal choice, there are so many options available. Do you want the shortest route, most scenic route, rural route or a route passing through cities? Do you want only short ferry crossings or happy with longer crossings? How much time do you have available? Do you have views on having to use rail for some water crossings? Which part of Sweden are you aiming for? That would make a difference too.
Do you really need to follow a planned route, many of us just buy a map and go. :smile:

I think you are right, buy a map and set of............more fun I suppose...........Thanks

Top Bottom