long term cough, doctors can't find anything wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a cough for getting on for 2 years, the medics have pretty much given up. Cycling doesn't particularly seem to make it worse, although commuting in cold weather is not great on the throat. I did try staying off the bike for a month or so but there was no real improvement.

I've been back and forth to the doctor, got referred to an ENT consultant, had many and various tests and treatments none of which have helped. I've had a chest X-ray, camera up my nose and down my throat, allergy test, all negative. CT scan showed a slight inflammation of some sinuses, but nothing that he would recommend surgery for.

I think the reason I cough is because there is a continual drip of mucus from the back of my nose or sinuses (post-nasal drip) which runs down into my throat and have to cough up. Some nights I'm awake with coughing fits and in the mornings I sound like a heavy smoker, without the enjoyment of having had the fags first.

Any suggestions welcomed, this is getting me down.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Have you had the flu jab? My dad swears he has had a permanent cough since he started taking it.

OP, if you can manage it, try and take 2 weeks holiday in a warm place like Spain. Bring along new clothes, toiletries ( new brand etc) Sinus does weird things.

Suggesting this route as you have spent 2 year with the medical fraternity.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have had a flu jab the last few years, paid for by work. Do you mind me asking what your dad's cough is like, i.e. dry or chesty like mine?
Seems to be more chesty, ie producing some mucus.

OP, if you can manage it, try and take 2 weeks holiday in a warm place like Spain. Bring along new clothes, toiletries ( new brand etc) Sinus does weird things.

Suggesting this route as you have spent 2 year with the medical fraternity.
Thanks, I've had a couple of 2-week summer holidays in hot bits of France since I've had the cough, but not tried the new clothes etc.
Not being a massive clothes buyer, Mrs. W may suspect something!

I have a nasal drip and I take a sinus spray for it. Initially Beconnaise, now flixonase. I never had a cough but I was constantly clearing my throat. My sinuses now are quite vulnerable during colds etc and are a slight mess now, just kept under control.

Top Bottom