Longer cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, i wonder if anyone has come across longer SPD cleats? The holes on my SIDI shoes are drilled too low on the sole, so even when the cleat is put in its furthest position, it still doesn't line up with my feet & peddle properly. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi there, i wonder if anyone has come across longer SPD cleats? The holes on my SIDI shoes are drilled too low on the sole, so even when the cleat is put in its furthest position, it still doesn't line up with my feet & peddle properly. Thanks
I think they are all the same size so that they clip exactly into the pedal. You could try others I guess, Shimano do two the SH51 and multi release SH56, Wellgo offer SPD pedals and cleats too. You might need compatible pedals. Otherwise is it Egg beaters or Speedplay which are two Bolt?

Sounds like you need different shoes, they normally have a sliding plate to take the cleats?

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks, problem with my feet are that they are too wide! So i need extra wide shoes and the sidi are the best and most comfy i have tried, it is just that the cleat sits too far back on the foot, even when it is at the maximum forward position. Hmmm looks like i might be stuck :sad: I would have thought there would be longer cleats out there for just this problem. Anyone want to make them and charge £££

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Lengthening the slots is unlikely to help, as the plate the cleats screw into will only move so far, which is why it has two pairs of screw holes.

Note to the OP:
If you use road SPD (i.e. SPD-R, or SPD-SL), you have to say so, otherwise everyone will assume you are using recessed cleat mountain bike SPD, as is the case with the replies above.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the cleat sits too far back on the foot, even when it is at the maximum forward position.
Mechanically, the further back (within reason) you have the cleats fitted, the better. So look at this another way. Why do you think the cleats sit "too far back"?
Have a read of Steve Hogg's article: Power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position and realise that you're actually in a 'good place'.
I have my cleats (on all my shoes and boots) as far back as they will go.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Lengthening the slots is unlikely to help, as the plate the cleats screw into will only move so far, which is why it has two pairs of screw holes.

Note to the OP:
If you use road SPD (i.e. SPD-R, or SPD-SL), you have to say so, otherwise everyone will assume you are using recessed cleat mountain bike SPD, as is the case with the replies above.

ah right oups. just assumed. yep SPD-SL

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Mechanically, the further back (within reason) you have the cleats fitted, the better. So look at this another way. Why do you think the cleats sit "too far back"?
Have a read of Steve Hogg's article: Power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position and realise that you're actually in a 'good place'.
I have my cleats (on all my shoes and boots) as far back as they will go.

the cleats need to be on the ball of ones feet and the knuckle kinda lined up with the crank arm. That's what i was taught all those years ago. All to do with power and how/where the knee rotates so not to cause problems.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
as you can see it is at max forward position and although it is kinda ok, it just doesn't feel right compared to my previous shoes. really the holes for the cleat should be drilled further up, although it could be my silly feet which are super wide

shoe.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
the cleats need to be on the ball of ones feet and the knuckle kinda lined up with the crank arm. That's what i was taught all those years ago.
Have you read the article? Does depend on the type of cycling you're doing (in these shoes) which in your case varies widely, I think.
it just doesn't feel right compared to my previous shoes.
Get used to it and it'll feel fine; better, even, except when you're needing to accelerate out of a corner in a crit, perhaps.

Stupid point, but one washer is upside down (left inside). If you flip it over can you get the result you want as it looks like the top bolt is not all the way back, like the other two are.

Siclo

Veteran
Another rider with stupidly wide feet here, who has just moved to Sidi mega's.

In the past have you bought larger size shoes than the length of your foot to gain the width? If so you may have dropped the saddle to reduce the strain on your achilles from the cleat being further forward. I'd suggest you try raising the saddle 1 or 2 mm and leave the cleat where it is.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the cleats need to be on the ball of ones feet and the knuckle kinda lined up with the crank arm. That's what i was taught all those years ago.
That used to be the mantra (KOPS), but it is now a possible starting point, only. Read the article. Can you think of a few other things that have changed since you were taught them 'all those years ago'?
I said "Get used to it and it'll feel fine"
ol at "get use to knee pain" yeah right, great idea!
There has been no mention of 'pain' so far in this thread / your posts. Have you got knee pain now? I'm suggesting you just need to get used to the new (to you) position of your foot vis a vis the pedal. I'm not suggesting you (or anyone) gets used to pain, of the non-exertional kind.

Top Bottom