Longer stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Simonali, that shouldn't make too much difference, it may feel slightly 'vaguer' but nothing you won't get used to. At first it may feel as though the bike is about to fall over on tight, slow, corners but it doesn't.

Mortiroloboy

You may feel more stretched, can I ask why you are swapping your stem? Have you arrived at this decision as a result of being measured, or are you just experimenting?

I did this in my early uninformed/guesstimate days, and got it horribly wrong!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bugger all handling - it's all about how you feel on the bike - I use a 130mm stem on both road bikes as I like my back stretched out - it's just better for me....

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
User259iroloboy said:
You may feel more stretched, can I ask why you are swapping your stem? Have you arrived at this decision as a result of being measured, or are you just experimenting?

Tip of saddle to centre of bars, my old MTB is 100mm longer than my new one and I feel a little cramped as a result. As it's not a road bike, where fit is a little more important, I don't mind a bit of experimentation! (new stem was only 20 quid)

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Not being able to try before you buy in this mail order world of ours is a right royal PITA!

New bike feels much roomier with the longer stem and I can't say it's had any real effect on the handling that I've noticed, as I only rode it a few times with the shorter one on it. When I bought my first MTB I was a roadie and wanted a racy stretched out position, so maybe it is that bike that is too long, as opposed to the new one being too short? Times and trends change, don't they?!

Simonali, I think you're right in that part of the difference is MTB vs Road. As it's an MTB and manoeuverability (sp?) is more of an issue than on a road bike, you may well notice the difference - get the saddle as far back on the rails first. And try it with the shorter reach, you may find the bike is more agile as it is.

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Technically, the new bike is not an MTB, although it looks very much like one. Both the bikes are used almost exclusively on-road. A towpath is as off-road as it gets for me these days!

I seem to be trimming weight nicely, too, as the new stem complete is as light as the old one was with all the bolts and faceplate removed! ;)

Top Bottom